iPod - rainbow spot on screen

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bluebull, Jan 6, 2004.

1. bluebull macrumors member

Jul 7, 2003
    When I look at my ipod's screen from a wide angle, I can see a semicircle rainbow coming from the middle of the top of the screen. It looks a lot like an oil spot in a parking lot or something. It doesn't really bother me, because when I'm looking at it straight on, I can't see it.
    I'm sure it was caused by the screen being pushed in in that spot, probably from keeping it in my backpack one day.
    I was just wondering if anybody else has this, and if there is a way to fix it, although I doubt it.
  2. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2004
    South Eastern MA
    me too

I have this same problem, but it's been like that since i took it out of its box. I think it's just the way the plastic on the screen comes out. Doesn't bother me.
  3. bluebull thread starter macrumors member

Jul 7, 2003
    The weird part is that when i put the iskin screen protector on it, its magnified.

Mine could have been that way out of the box also, and it took me a while to notice it.
  4. evolu macrumors regular

Dec 10, 2002
    LA la land...
    I used to have that problem, only when I was in the car - then I figured out it was only when I had specific sunglasses on!

I'm sure that isn't the same problem you all are having, but funny detail nontheless.
  5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    This happens, in my experience, with all monochromatic LCD screens. I remember seeing this on original Gameboys. I've even noticed it on digital watches. So, it's perfectly normal, just noticeable because larger monochromatic displays are not common anymore...

6. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

May 24, 2003
    It's caused by stress/imperfections with the LCD screen. Nothing to worry about, some come out like that.
  7. rogozhin macrumors member

Jan 1, 2004
    Missouri, USA
    the rainbow connection

It probably has something to do with the display's plastic LCD screen being polarized. All old-style LCDs use polarized lenses; if it wasn't polarized, you wouldn't be able to read the display.

Someone should start a class action lawsuit, because Apple didn't use Carl Zeiss lenses for the iPod's display. Or Savorski crystal. This is an obvious design flaw that Apple knew about. Why can't I expect my consumer electronic device to have the same or better display technologies as the Hubble telescope?? As a matter of fact, I think I'll go key cars down at the Apple Store and make a movie about it, then post it on the internet. Fifteen minutes of fame, here I come!!!
  8. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Are your sunglasses polarized? I have noticed LCD displays get "distorted" with polarized glasses. And polarized glasses are the ONLY way to go! :)