ipod reads do not disconnect when connected

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by terry29, May 8, 2003.

1. terry29 macrumors newbie

just wondering if anyone has had this problem. everytime i connect my ipod to my notebook, the ipod displays "do not disconnect". it says this after it has been detected and even after i trasfer songs. i have disconnected it and everything seems to work fine, but why wont it tell me its ok to disconnect? please help!

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

You have to eject the iPod either from the finder or directly from iTunes, just like you would eject a CD. Then it will show, that you can disconnect it.

3. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

are you serious? or being sarcastic...?

until you eject the iPod from iTunes or the desktop, it will read do not disconnect. its to keep you from losing data by disconnecting in the middle of a transfer. or data read...

4. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Sounds like you have the firewire hard drive mode enabled. Firewire hard drive mode is for if you want to back up your files to your iPod. Also, you can drag text documents to the Notes folder on the iPod, a new feature.

You can do one of two things. If you want to keep your iPod in Firewire hard drive mode, just go to the Finder and drag the iPod icon to the trash bin, this will disconnect your iPod and then you shouldn't see the "do not disconnect" message. Also, if you click on the iPod button at the bottom left hand corner of iTunes (when your iPod is connected), you can change the settings and unselect the Firewire hard drive mode (which is what I ended up doing - I'll just enable it on the occasions that I want to copy files over).