iPod really died

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by janey, Jan 23, 2003.

1. janey macrumors 603

janey

Got a 10gb iPod less than 3 months ago.

I left it on my desk after leaving it fully (or somewhere near it) charged and playing some music to wake myself up in the morn.

Came back from school less than 10 hours later and the iPod won't turn on, it won't charge, the firewire cables, ports and AC adapters work fine but the iPod won't turn on!!!!

Computer can't recognize it, fag at AppleCare told me it was because i didn't charge the battery and because the hold switch was you know...

So anyone have the same problem as me?
    The iPod's "charging" right now and it's as hot as hell but won't do anything (a really expensive hot potato my friend calls it) and the Apple Stores nearby are closed...

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

There have been reports that letting it sit for 24 hours or so and then trying to recharge, or reset it.

You have tried resetting it (hold down play/pause and menu for a few seconds, until Apple logo comes up)?

3. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

I must have tried everything under the sun.
    Resetting it, using different cables, using different computers...the next thing is going to Apple.

Holding the menu and play button for two minutes didn't do anything.

4. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

I had the same problem once with my 10 gig iPod.

It wouldn't turn on or anything for a good hour, I was getting very nervous. Then after a few tries the reset worked and it booted up. The battery level was nonexistent so I plugged it in and charged it back up.

5. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

Thank you so much...
    Okay so i played with my iPod and one of my Power Macs and after about 20 minutes of trying to get it to work...it finally did.
    Remains the same too and the battery's still fully charged.
    But I'm still not happy about the AppleCare dude.
    :D
    And of course, there's the firewire thing that the mac genius broke by accident.

6. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Plug it into the wall with the travel charger then try resetting it by holding play and menu. Give that a try

7. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

8. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

my friends windows ipod suddenly stopped working for about a day or so...he couldn't do anything with it...when i told him finally that he should just try resetting it, it turned on!

9. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Re: iPod really died

Personally, I'm pretty happy it broke. Serves you right for calling people fags at random. Hope you get ****ed. Good luck!

10. yamadataro macrumors 6502

Re: Re: iPod really died

I once made an innocent-sounding Japanese AppleCare girl almost cry. I guess I am a fag... :D

Peace!

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

What do you mean? if it's just the port cover, that's meant to be removable, it snaps back in. If it's the port itself, how are you using it??

:)
    fag

12. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

:)

13. Anamorphic macrumors newbie

You know, I'm not even gay, and I'm still offended by this. What are you, eight years old?

14. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

so old!!!!

i am 17 and know better than this.

you said a naughty word.

naughty word - naughty word - naughty word :D

15. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

Yeah, how dare you use a word that has gone from something that shouldn't be said in public to something that means, in an unofficial slang, one who you would disagree with. For shame.

16. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

in england dont they smoke fags???

cigarettes that is...

oh, im not gay either...

17. Phazer80s macrumors regular

Another two cents in the bucket

Yeah, you might as well remove that word from your vocabulary. It's got so much hate and ignorance attached it does nobody any good to use it. :(

18. King Cobra macrumors 603

I won't even bother contributing to this immature discussion on vocabulary usage and pointless attributes you guys are participating in, except to point out that a 17 year old, such as myself, can discuss the manner using more fluent "vocabulary". :rolleyes:

In regard to the iPod issue, you could also pull a "Code RED" on the iPod to start it up. Assuming the iPod has a decent charge, press down all of the controls surrounding the scroll wheel and hold for about 10 seconds. This has helped me when the regular "jump start" method of the center + play buttons has failed.

19. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

Okay look that was the first time anyone from Apple ever insulted me (he thought i was some 6 year old girl-hey it's not my fault if i lost my voice) and he was EXTREMELY RUDE. Look, if you were in a bad mood and you were a teen and this geek says let me talk to your mommy would you be happy?

Nah, not the port cover. It was something in the actual firewire thing and apple's going to send me a new one (because the freezing thing keeps happening) anyway so...

edit: I don't call anyone from apple a ******* and i know that the word 'fag' is offensive and and stupid...what other word was i supposed to use...cretin?

20. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

relax. we are having a little bit of fun you know. you know, laugh etc. HA HA HA, HE HE HE, HO HO HO.

man, give us a break.

21. vniow macrumors G4

That's one funny contradiction you have there.

Acknowledging that the word 'fag' is offensive and stupid but proceeding to use it anywayz.

Interesting...........

22. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

Yeah but i used it for lack of a better word to describe that moron. I mean person. happy?

23. vniow macrumors G4

You couldn't quickly think of another word that isn't offensive to many people in this situation?

You must have a small vocabulary.

24. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

No...mine is bigger than yours. :)

Actually in some way or another every single word in the english language is offensive to SOMEBODY.

25. vniow macrumors G4

That's a pretty broad generalization don't you think?

I was just pointing out that the word you used to insult the Apple employee is offensive to some (including me) and you should think about what you call someone and what you post in a diverse enviroment such as this one.