iPod recovery - Fried computer

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jezmeister, Aug 20, 2006.

1. jezmeister macrumors newbie

I looked around for similar issues around the forum, but this one doesn't seem to be covered. My old computer, with the iTunes I was using for my iPod, died on me, and is quite unrecoverable. I bought a new computer, a Mac this time, and obviously iTunes doesn't work with my iPod. My question is, is there any free program like an iRip or iPodCopy that can help me sync with the new iTunes? I downloaded a few versions of "ripping" software, but they're all just demos and don't really work.

My follow-up question is, do any of these programs actually make the new iTunes work with my iPod or are they perpetually incompatible?

Thanks for the help!

Jezmeister

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Are you trying to go from iTunes on a PC to iTunes on a Mac? If so, you can get the songs off the iPod onto your mac using a program like Senuti. Then, import from your HD into iTunes, reformat your iPod to Mac-compatible, and sync up as normal. Any new version of iTunes should work with any kind of iPod. There should be no incompatibility issues.

3. jezmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

reformat?

Thanks for the quick reply! If I reformat my iPod (how do I do this?), won't I lose the songs on there now? And yes, I am going from iTunes on a PC to iTunes on a Mac.

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

As I said, download a program called Senuti to your mac. This will let you transfer music from the iPod to your Mac. Once you've saved the music on the Mac, reformat the iPod and you're all set.

To reformat, download the latest iPod Updater from Apple.com, then use that to reformat your iPod to be Mac-compatible.

5. Hudgie macrumors member

You missed the bit about the program called Senuti. Google it.

Personally, I prefer iPodDisk, also available with a quick Google search.

In order for it to work, you'll need to be in Manual transfer mode.

If you're not yet in manual (i.e. you used auto transfer on your old computer) be very careful when you plug the iPod into iTunes, because it will ask you to clear the iPod. Makre sure to click NO, then you can go into prefs\iPod and change it to manual.

AFTER you get the music off, and you're 100% sure about it, you can format for Mac using the iPod Updater.

This is optional, and it will mean that the iPod will not be readable by Windows. Keeping it in Windows format however means that it can eb read my Mac and Windows, with the drawback that the Mac updater can only update the software on a Mac-formatted iPod.

6. jezmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

Updater

Thanks so much for your help, guys! So far it worked fine. I downloaded Senuti and have put all the music onto the iTunes on the new computer. Now I'm wondering about the formatting. How do I now start getting iTunes to accept the iPod? If I sync the two now, will the music disappear? Do I need to reformat the iPod first? And if I do that, will it not work with a PC? Not that this is the biggest deal, but I would prefer to keep my options open.

So basically, now that all the music is on iTunes, what will happen if I sync the two, and if it all works out fine, why would I need to reformat the iPod?

Thanks again for all your help! Much appreciated.

Jezmeister

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You don't have to format your iPod if you don't wish. You can sync your computer and iPod without fear, you'll never replace music on your computer from the iPod if you use iTunes, only vice versa. The only reason to reformat is if you need to update your iPod, which will require it be Mac-formatted.

8. jezmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

playlists

Ok, so here's a new problem. Once I got all the songs onto the iTunes from Senuti, none of the playlists were there. So dragged all the playlists from Senuti onto iTunes and it worked. BUT now I have duplicated of every single song in my library. I tried going through and deleting the duplicates, which took over an hour, but that deleted them from the playlists!!! Is there no way to get around this problem? If I leave the duplicates in the library, I'm wasting half the space on my iPod, if I remove the duplicates it screws up my playlists. Any suggestions???

Thanks.