iPod Remote Options

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by fBaran, Mar 11, 2004.

1. fBaran macrumors regular

Hello. I am looking for another solution for a wired remote for my 3G iPod, but haven't been able to find anything. I like the remote that Apple sells, but 40USD is too much for me (plus I already have headphones Sony EX71's). Any one know is those remotes that come with some cd players work? And if they, do you have any idea where to get them? Thanks.

2. theipodgod16 macrumors 6502

no, they wont work. Each maker uses its own connection system, so that people will be forced to buy their own remote. The remote came with mine, and its useful, but i dont use it much of the time. the ipod is plenty slim enough to fit in a pocket. The remote is only useful when you want to switch tracks, or adjust the volume. You cant go and pick a new song to play from the remote, so i'd say, save your money.

3. jigglyjon macrumors member

i agree, 40 dollars is too much for a remote. i got one with my 20gb and i am trying to keep it from breaking. I am scared because i have broken different remotes in the past and i want to keep this one

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I love the Apple remote that came with the 20G - seems pretty sturdy to me

I keep my iPod in the inside pocket of my winter jacket - and it would be way too cold to unzip and take it out each time I want to skip a track or change volume!

5. TBR macrumors 6502

I have the apple remote and never use it, it makes the headphone wire so long that it becomes unwieldy for everyday useage.

6. jigglyjon macrumors member

that is true thats why i twist tie it to just hang out of my pocket

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

eBay

You can buy the headphones and remote, and sell just the headphones on ebay. Thats what I did. If they are new and unopened you can get about $20 for them. So that makes the remote $20 then. Not a bad price if you ask me. The remote alone sells for like 25-30 on ebay, so I think selling the ear buds is the better way to go. But the remote is nice to have, even if it does make the cord annoyingly long.

8. clr900 macrumors regular

I use the remote all the time while I'm driving. It is pretty hard to change change songs while driving without it, if I don't feel like listening to the song that just came on I skip it. Don't know what I'd do without it.

9. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

im almost dependent on my remote. then it broke. i gotta go to the apple store to get it replaces. also my left earbud popped again. i keep on getting bad remotes and headphones:p
    good news though i've never had to get my iPod itself serviced.:)

remote isn't worth 40 dollars, but it's a great thing to have.