iPod Repair Questions

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Kwyjibo, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Well it finally happened to me, I pulled my iPod (old 20GB) out after class and it popped right out of my hands. It turns on and played songs but I couldn't hear anything. So i put it away and got home. I definately broke the plug part and can tell because its recessed. If I put in the headphone plug and hold it at an angle i kinda get music but its not reliable or truly functional so I'm set with several choices. My ipod was purchased in Oct 2002 so its out of warranty and was registered at one point so a repair from apple under warranty won't happen. So i've got several options ... assume that cash isn't extra tight, My tax rebate would most likely cover this ... I have 9 GB of music right now ...

1. No iPod, sure I love it but I don't need it
    2. Send it into apple for repairs and have them say I need a new board and charge me lots probably.
    3. Send it into another repair place like MacResQ who estimated about $150 in total repairs
    4. Buy a new 15GB iPod and enjoy that .... for $269 + tax from my university ..

any other options I'm overlooking? What would you do, as of right now i'm leaning towards option 4 i mean my old one is probably going ot have the battery die sooner or later....

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i dont like the option 1

but the fact that ur battery might crap out soon makes option 4 attractive, at least more attractive than 1 or 2 :)

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i would vote option 4 if you can afford it, or 3 if you just can't afford 4. i feel for you man; i hope i don't drop mine...

4. unc32 macrumors regular

5. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

the mini is not an option for several reasons
    1. I have 9 gigs of music, and I like having all of it at my fingertips ...
    2. I don't need the extra space saved since usually my ipod is in my coat pocket or backpack...
    3. the cost/ value thing is not good 229$ for a mini isn't a good deal at all when i'll pay a little more for 15GB ...
    4. going from an old 20GB to a new 15GB will be a big size jump neway