iPod Repair

Discussion in 'iPod' started by redknight, Jun 22, 2006.

1. redknight macrumors newbie

Jun 22, 2006
    I have a dilemma- the scroll wheel on my iPod Video is broken (it's been acting screwy. I have to be near abusive to select play lists, etc.). I've sent it to Apple, to be told (surprise, not!) that repairs aren't covered. What's the best third party iPod repair company, and how much do you think it will cost? I've used iPod-resq before to repair a LCD screen, and the service was good, but I'm not sure if I overpaid or not ($150). Is there a better service anyone recommends?

2. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

Feb 17, 2005
    Why aren't the repairs covered? I've sent ipods of all types in for service and have never been denied.
  3. redknight thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 22, 2006
    I'm not really sure yet. I just checked the status of repairs, and it says "Service declined, accidental damage found," or something, which is odd because I haven't "accidentally damaged" the iPod. Maybe frantically pounding the broken buttons trying to get the scroll wheel to work in the first place damaged it. Or perhaps my warranty was voided when I sent it off to iPod ResQ to have the LCD screen repaired? (Though they would've said that, right?) I could go on about Apple's service policies, but a.) I like their products to much to care a lot, b.) griping isn't going to change anything, and c.) maybe I just need to accept the fact that everything I touch magically breaks no matter how gingerly I touch it.
  4. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2005
    I don't want to hijack this thread but rather ask a related question that both of you probably can answer.

My iPod shuffle is dying for no apparent reason. I don't have my receipt where I bought it, but I know the exact date of when I purchased it (ha, the Friday before they dropped the price on the 512MB from $99 to $69). I bought the Shuffle from Target. Can I take my iPod to an Apple store and get it fixed/replaced under warranty without the receipt? What proof of purchase do I need? Thanks! ~Josh

haha, you are to technology as my mom is to flowers. :)
  5. luckylisp macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2006
    NY state
    Did you register it with Apple? If not, I do believe you'll need a receipt to verify when you bought it, yes. Although with the seriel number Apple just might be able to track when you purchased it.