iPod Revamp?

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 16, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

From an anonymous source and felt to be very unlikely, but published for your interest:

2. macrumors regular

I agree. This seems like nonsense. FW800??? What site posted this rumor?u

3. macrumors regular

This is such complete nonsense that if it turns out to be true...

...I will dance naked around my house while singing the "I'm a little teapot" song.

I think, however, my neighbours are safe.

Floop

4. macrumors 6502a

sounds like something you'd read on LoopRumors, MacOSRumors or Crazy Apple Rumors Site.

5. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I doubt that it is true either. A color screen would be neat, but it would probably just drain down the battery faster.

6. macrumors regular

[admin note: This rumor is not from Looprumors]

I would buy that is 0.2 seconds! That is exactly what I'm talking about...

Also, LoopRumors was correct about Steve Jobs speaking at the Intel sales conference... there's even an audio clip on LoopRumors where he says... "We've got a room full of Pentiums" (relating to Pixar of course).

Here's the sound file: http://www.LoopRumors.com/JobsatIntel.mp3

And here's the pic:

7. TMA
    macrumors 6502a

TMA

Whats wrong with Firewire 800?

I agree in general this rumor does seem abit far fetched (with the exception of cheaper base models, though maybe at 10gig)

Regarding Firewire 800 - This makes sense if Apple use a faster Hard Disk that has a burst rate faster than the original firewire can cope with. I believe some do exsist (can't remember manufacturer or price but i'll try looking it up later) The speed gain might not be a huge amount but if it doesn't cost Apple much to integrate FW 2 then I can see how it may be worth while.

Colour touch screen - I have severe doubts about that. I dont think we will see the iPod turn into a PDA.

My thoughts.

8. TMA
    macrumors 6502a

TMA

Sounds like Steve had a cold. (waits for the crys of "that sounds nothing like our Steve!") It's him though. And perhaps some of us owe an apology to LR for ripping them to shreds when the Steve @ Intel rumor and pic were first posted there.

Still think the iPod rumor is mostly BS though. ;)

9. macrumors 603

shadowfax

well, unlikely as this may be, this is exactly what several peoplei know would like--a newtonesque PDA with a 4gb drive and media features. i can't say "that's stupid," because it's not, but it does seem far fetched.

10. Gus
    macrumors 65816

Gus

Although....

Within the last 2 weeks, the Apple Store Online's Special Deals section has had every model iPod for sell for a couple of days.

Also, I have never seen Apple change the Special Deals section on a weekend, and I check it every day, but they removed the 5GB iPods that they had on there as early as Friday.

We'll see.

Regards,
    Gus

11. macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, but this is exactly what I want. My roommate has a sony clie pda w/ mp3 capabilities, and if apple doesnt release the newton again w/ pda functions, i'm going to scream a fit. My other friend has a visor, and his brother bought an old newton, and he said that as soon as he picked up the newton, he could immediately start writing on it, no trouble, but the visor he still hasnt gotten.

In any case, if this rumor is true, ill buy it the same morning that it comes out.

12. macrumors G3

To answer several of the things already said in this thread:
    1. 5 GB is unlikey to be available unless Apple horded the 5GB disks. (Which are out of production.)
    2. FW 800 while it seems overkill will work on a FW400 port. Also, if you have a chain of DW800 devices, you don't want a FW400 device killing the speed of the chain. (I am not sure if this is actually the case, but it happens with other types of interfaces.)
    3. A color screen version is quite likely. The day before MacWorld (I think) SF 2003, one of the news channels was talking about a multimedia type iPod. So this has some chance of being true.
    4. As for the announcement date, I think this week is still a bit early for the 15" PowerBook changes since the 17" hasn't really shipped yet. So why not this week?
      [/list=1]

Will I buy a new high end iPod? Not until my bank account recovers from the PowerMac I have on order. Also, if it's only a disk size increase, then I will probably wait until my 10GB iPod dies out of warranty.

13. macrumors 6502

I think it will be released in the next three weeks for sure. As someone mentioned, the 17inch PB hasn't even started shipping. That doesn't mean they cant realease new 15inch ones so that all the PBs will ship together. They could actually have a non-paper release. They should also be updating iBooks soon. So, those three things in the next 3 weeks is most likely.

14. macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Can't we just have an iNewton and be happy?

I think this rumor is mostly the contents of a wild imagination, but I do want to thank arn for posting it. It's nice to see what some people are speculating, realistic or not.

On the general idea here, I would love to see a new Newton. By the time of the MessagePad 2000 and 2100, the Newton was a computing hybrid. With the technology available today, like incredibly small 40 GB hard drives, a true Newton innovation would really work.

Back to the iPod rumor, while I would gladly juggle chainsaws if it was true, I would also buy one right away (after a trip to the ER, of course).

15. macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Just as a point of interest here, I thought I'd post this pic I found cruising Newton sites today.
    Also, Apple still owns Newton.com, although that's not really surprising.

Anyway, the pic is of a Newton "VideoPad" prototype (picture from the Newton Gallery).
    Can you spell DLD?

16. macrumors 65816

zach

hey, dont take this as a sure thing, cause i'm not sure, but i'm fairly sure i went on newton.com last year and it said: no website is registered at this adress. But, it could be that im thinking of something else...

Anyone? Do you know if im right/wrong?

17. macrumors 65816

zach

and of course, for those who dont understand the connection: Newton.com back up = new newtons.

18. macrumors regular

multimedia ipod

1. The "multimedia ipod" that you were mentioning is just a title given to a product that is made by another company, and has nothing to do with apple or the ipod. I read about it in the New York Times Circuit section :-( Oh well

19. macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

If I buy any DLD or iNewton or iPDA-Multimedia-Tablet-Coffee Grinder-Pod device is released, the cash for it would come straight out of my Powerbook (or iBook if I can learn to lower my expectations) fund. :D

20. macrumors 68020

howard

that sort of ipod revamp would be great and i think a lot of people would buy it, and while some features are far fetched i don't think all of them are.

21. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I think that we will see iPod updates this week. Here are my predictions for the iPod:

5 GB - discontinued

10 GB - $249, case, volume control thing, headphones

20 GB - $349, case, volume control thing, headphones

30 GB - $449, case, volume control thing, headphones

40 GB - $549, case, volume contol thing, headphones

I am also hoping for longer battery life and a replaceable battery, for when the battery dies (if it ever does).

I could be totally wrong, but o well. :D

22. macrumors G3

Re: multimedia ipod

I know what you're talking about, and that is not what I am refering to.
    The news show specifically said Apple and iPod. ANd this was January 6th of this year when I saw it. (The day before MacWorld)

23. macrumors regular

Re: Re: multimedia ipod

Hmm, Interesting. I hope I'm wrong

24. macrumors 603

shadowfax

I have to say, i doubt there is a chance apple is going to drop a 500$ piece of hardware 150$ in a single day. that would be cool, but... no.

25. macrumors 65816

Shrek

Well, they dropped the price of the high-end PowerMac by $300 in a single day.