ipod ?s new MAC from PC

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Toby Goodbar, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

been doing alot of research but can't get definitive answers. SO:

1) in HD mode is the ipod compatible with both PC/mac? i want to use ephpod to backup all my songs onto the pc HD. reformat to mac, then backup the songs FROM the pc HD onto the empty ipod in HD mode. Can this be done?
    1b)example: lets say i have my ipod w/ all my songs in mac mode and go to a pc friends house who has some mp3 i want . can i then save them to my ipod via disk mode?

2)i've also heard of people going using ipods on both pc AND mac but eventually crashing the ipod after too many song transfers? is this true or is there any some sort of 1 way compatibility?
    2b)can you change your ipod type in EITHER direction w/out losing songs?

3) using ephpod, (if your familiar w/ it) does it save all the id tags and more importantly, the associated photos?
    3b)does anyone know of a program that DOES copy ?FROM your ipod and saves it w/all id tags incl. picture info associated w/ tha songs?

i really appreciate the info here, and who knows, this might become a sticky!

thanx all, -Toby

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

A PC formatted (FAT32) iPod is compatible with both Mac/PC as a HDD (i.e. the data part of the drive). You can sync a PC formatted iPod with either a PC or a Mac, both automaically or manually. However you cannot access the files you put on the data part of the drive from the iPod's manus.

You cannot access any part of a Mac (HFS+) formatted iPod from a PC without third party software like MacDrive from Mediafour. Switching form PC to Mac or vice versa wipes the iPod's hard drive entirely.

You can only auto sync an iPod with one machine. If you want to copy files to the iPod library you must use manual manage your songs mode, which (IMHO) eliminates some of the best features of iPod+iTunes, but that's just my opinion.

I'm not familiar with ephpod, so I'll leave that for s/o else...

EDIT: You might be a good candidate for rockbox replacement firmware...

B

3. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

(i never set mine for auto sync. manual ONLY.)when you say that, you mean the HD portion or are you saying a pc formatted ipod can be synced to both mac AND pc and recieve files from both?

whats rockbox replacement firmware?

EDIT: I GUESS MY PRIORITY DESIRE IS TO KNOW HOW I CAN GET A MIRROR IMAGE COPY OF ALL SONGS ON MY IPOD INCLUDING ALBUM ART ONTO MY NEW MAC? the rest is just so i know my compatibility limits in the future

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm talking about the iPod library not the data part of the drive. In manual mode you can connect the PC formatted iPod to any machine with iTunes and drag files over to the iPod. You can also play the music that is on the iPod from any PC or Mac with iTunes.

http://www.rockbox.org open source firmware for various mp3 players that adds a variety of features that allow you to copy tunes over w/o iTunes get more control over how your files are organized and adds some codecs to the iPod like OGG and FLAC.

Just moving your library is described here: http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/tutorial/ip_gettingstarted_t14.html or in the recover songs from iPod guide http://guides.macrumors.com/Recovering_Songs_from_an_iPod

B

5. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

holy ish! are you kidding me? you %100 sure? then why would you even WANT a mac formatted ipod? i should just keep it the same and anything new i download onto the mac i can add just as is. right?

also i just found this: http://www.itunessdk.com/xport/

which i think is PERFECT for pc users who are happy w/itunes. i'm installing it right now. (on the pc obviously, the mac doesn't even arrive till tamorrow...)

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can boot a Mac from a Mac formatted iPod.

HFS+ is a better file system than FAT32.

B

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

On an iPod? :confused:

B

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Not unless it's an older model that has firewire support. Macs don't boot from any USB source.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Actually, the Intel Macs seem to boot from USB, even though it's not officially supported. You are correct for PPC Macs.

B