iPod Says its Windows Format Now??!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Lapdance Jockey, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Lapdance Jockey macrumors newbie

hey all,

i just connected my iPod to my Mac and it said that there was a software update ... fine...

but the update button is ghosted and the only option i have is to RESTORE - which will erase all my stuff... because the update is only available for Mac formatted iPods and mine is now somehow WINDOWS...

i've never connected this thing to a windows computer - i don't get it

any insight would be much appreciated - many thanks

:cool:

2. islandman macrumors 6502

All your stuff that gets erased exists in iTunes anyway, right?

Either way, I agree that your situation is odd. I have never seen that before.

3. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

when was the last time you connected to your computer? have you lend it to other people after that? it wouldn't just format itself to windows w/o erasing your data... is there something we dont know?

4. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

iPods come formatted with FAT32 which is most compatible for PCs and Macs. When used exclusively on Mac you can format it to HFS+. You probably didn't do this when you first got it.

1. If all your files on the iPod are still in your iTunes library you can simply restore and have all your files reloaded onto the iPod.

2. If you manually manage music and/or have files on the iPod that are not backed up anywhere else, you can upgrade on a friends windows PC.

3. You can also move any files from the iPod to your computer first and then reformat for HFS+ and reload all those files back. For music files you can use a third party program to save them from iPod to computer (since iTunes will only let you do this for purchased music).

5. Lapdance Jockey thread starter macrumors newbie

it has version 2.2 on it right now - i probably havent connected it to my computer in 8-10 months...

6. Lapdance Jockey thread starter macrumors newbie

yes - i do have my stuff backed up - but i just want make sure that if i hit the restore button its going to make it all mac happy again - and not stick me with this windblows garbage

:cool: