iPod Scratches

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by c2kvette, Jan 26, 2004.

1. c2kvette macrumors member

Is there anyway to get scratches off of the iPod screen?

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

do a search. there are probably dozens of threads about removing scratches from the front or back of iPods.

paul

3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

It seems this type of question is akin to beating a dead horse for you Paul. Although the last time you answered a question in regards to iPod scratches the poster, like this one, asked how to remove scratches ON the iPod "screen" NOT the back where you suggested to him to use Brasso, a metal polisher.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26068&highlight=iPod+scratches

I've removed superficial scratches on LCD watches throughout the years using toothpaste. As strange as it seems, toothpaste does seem to fill in the scratches. Take a small dab of toothpaste on a rag and work it into the offending area. Buff out lightly. Hopefully it'll remove all the scratches although any deep ones are likely to remain.

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    what do u use to buff it out with? just the rag?

sorry for the hijack

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Yeah. Again, it'll depend how deep the scratches are. I recall seeing a couple of infomercials on tv regarding a scratch remover for glasses. I'll try to find a link but I wonder if this would work.

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

http://www.drdynamics.com/products/liquidlense/default.asp

As with all promises made by infomercials, let the buyer beware. There are a slew of products out there claiming to removing scratches off various surfaces. The toothpaste is safe to use on the iPod screen although I would test any of these so called "scratch remover" products on something else before trying them on your iPod screen.

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/archive/topic/14597-1.html

Above link regarding a user using toothpaste to polish out scratches.

In the future I suggest purchasing protective case that not only protects the case but the screen as well. If you've already got a case, find a screen protector to prevent future scratching although a few have been known to leave a sticky residue on the screens.

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Any clean lint free soft cotton wrag will work. I've always used cotton reusable baby diapers.

9. rock6079 macrumors 6502

actually there is a way to get scratches off the back

this product worked fairly well. Get the "Ice Creme" product from Radtech. http://radtech.us/Products/Icecreme.aspx

make sure u get the Ice Creme M product and not just the Ice Creme. The "M" is the one that comes with a scratch cleaner for the front and back of the iPod.

Its only $25 (USD) and worth it becuase you can use it multiple times.

Anywase i hope this is what you were looking for.

Scratches in the iPod suck, mine never leaves its case.

10. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Re: actually there is a way to get scratches off the back

Nice, thanks for the link.

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: actually there is a way to get scratches off the back

I find for some reason the case scratches mine occasionally. This is even with my intense attention to keeping the iPod and the case clean.

12. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

pet websites/shops should have aquarium acrylic scratch repair kits with pretty good polishing agents. In the mac world, you can probably do a search at cubeowner.com forums for how to get scratches out of a cube's acrylic case.