ipod scratching question

Discussion in 'iPod' started by charlestrippy, Jun 13, 2006.

1. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

so i've had my ipod, what? -- two months max...and it has more scratches than a product of 1+ years....

i didn't know really to snag a case right when i bought my 60gb (ya know since it was $400 as it was)

if i go to the apple store...is there a way i could convince them to replace it with a new one?

thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You'd be really struggling to get them to replace a scratched iPod. :(

If you get a case now, you won't have to see the scratches. :)

3. darrengreer macrumors regular

I agree with mad jew, you probably won't have much of a chance. Now, had it been scratched when you took it out of the box, that is a different story.

That aside, after every iPod I have purchased, I have always purchased a case for it at the same time, for this precise reason. Usually the "iSkin" type, that is a very flexible/soft rubber of sorts.

Anyway, if you are lucky, they might listen to you, but the 2 months period of time is probably not going to help at all.

4. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

true, true - well maybe I can come up with some elaborate lie :rolleyes:

5. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

6. luckylisp macrumors 6502

I really doubt they'll give you a new one, but it can't hurt to take it in and complain, I guess. After only 2 months is it actually scratched so badly that it effects using/seeing the screen? As madjew said, if you get a case now you probably won't notice it much, plus obviously it'll protect from further scratches.

Although I keep mine in a case at all times, and prefer to keep the screen as new as possible, I've seen ones with light scratches on the screen and, to be honest, it doesn't really bother me. When the backlight is on the screen is still easy to see.

7. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I took my scratched 5G iPod to a jeweller, and he put it under one of his machines, and ALL the scratches disappeared! For free:D :)

8. darrengreer macrumors regular

Both sides? Or just the back?

9. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

10. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

To remove scratches from PC products, I suppose the product of choice would be a bottle of lemon juice.

11. darrengreer macrumors regular

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you don't want any added size, just get one of the many screen protectors that are out there. I have a Martin Fields one on my 5G (bought soon after release) and it still looks great! (I also ususally keep it in the freebie case.)

Brasso is the other polish that gets mentioned often.

B

13. chopsuey158 macrumors member

You may want to get the invisible shield, the adhesive will probably fill in the scratches that are already there, solving all your problems.

14. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Power Support have got a solution called Liquid Titanium coming out - not only do it get the iPod looking like new, but it puts a scratch proof layer on the iPod too... which is supposed to last up to 6 months before needing another application. lLounge seem pretty excited about it, and I'm very intrigued....

15. luckylisp macrumors 6502

That Liquid Titanium sounds amazing if it actually works as described. Thanks for the heads up!

16. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Give yourself a couple of coats of the stuff, and become bullet proof! The liquid iFlak:D :cool: