iPod screen bust

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Jasonbot, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

My original 30Gb 5G iPod decided today that it would be broken. It has acquired 2 clusters of dead pixels or some type of screen artifact. On the 5th line of text on teh left and right these small patches lie. They are a red/purple type colour and annoy me to death.

I have no idea how they got there and my warranty is dead. Do I have to get a screen replacement? Or is there another way?

2. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Not a big deal.

http://www.ifixit.com/cart/catalog/product_2170_iPod_Video_Color_Display_New.html

also

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ipod-Video-LCD-...5463017QQihZ003QQcategoryZ48680QQcmdZViewItem

3. copperhead macrumors member

it's actually really easy to replace the lcd screen on the video ipods. check out that ebay link ^ typed in. same thing happned to my dads and it took 15 minutes to swap that one out for a new one.

4. sonofjabba macrumors member

The hardest part on the video ipods is getting it apart for the first time without breaking the tabs on the face. If you buy a new screen try to get one that comes with the ipod tools. They help out a lot, another tip is pull on the metal back plate and try to keep your tools away from the face, the back plate can always be bent back, but a big dig on your face won't go away so easy...

5. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Update:

I still haven't got a new screen for my iPod but I noticed that the problem only happens when the backlight is on, so it must be something with the backlight right? Because when b/l is off the screen looks perfectly normal:eek:

Does anyone know anything abot THIS site? I want to buy my screen there because they're dirt cheap but Im scared that it might not ever ship or come to me.