iPod screen sleep

Discussion in 'iPod' started by the_freddinator, Oct 11, 2005.

1. the_freddinator macrumors regular

I was wondering if anyone else thinks that it'd be a good idea to impliment an option to have the iPods screen to turn off after an amount of idle time (1,2,5,10 min).

I know it does this if you're not listening to music- but I wish it would be implemented for when you are listening to music as well. Same as a laptop- the screen turns off, but the computer's still working. I find it a waste of battery to have my screen on when I'm not looking at it (ie doing work for extended amounts of time)

2. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

I don't think lcd displays use very much juice when they're not back lit. Just look at a watch, it'll use one dinky little battery forever, but if you use the light like a madman, it'll drain it. I doubt a screen saver would give ya much more listening time.

3. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Set your backlight to turn off. I know that's not exactly what you're looking for, but it's the closest thing...

4. the_freddinator thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

I already do. have it set for 5s backlight.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Kobushi is exactly right, the LCD is pretty much the lowest-power part of your iPod... the hard drive access is what kills the battery, along with the backlight. If the screen "died" during use, it would just be confusing, for maybe an extra second or two of battery life...