iPod serves distributed computing at Bio-IT conference

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bousozoku, Mar 27, 2003.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Apple is currently showing its wares at the Bio-IT conference, which focuses on using computers to aid in biological research.

MacCentral has posted an article where Texas A&M have been using XServes and and iPod to make setup easier.

Here's the link: http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/03/27/xserveipod/

2. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Glad to read that the little iPod is used for something other than back-up of songs, but thats not to say THAT isn't important too..

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

yes that is very interesting, actually Apple was showing off the Cluster Xserves there as well. Apple has a good hold (I think?) on the designer market, now it's trying build one in science and research.

4. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Well, Chewbaccapits, they were only using 2 GB. They didn't say what was on the rest of the iPod storage. I'd imagine heavy metal. :D (I hope that's not too esoteric.)

Apple has had quite a presence in science already at NASA and related industry. You may recall that PowerComputing, not long after being assembled, sold several thousand of their Macintosh clones to a defence contractor.

The fact that Apple is now making UNIX easier to use, helps scientists spend more time doing science and not fixing or adminstering computers.

5. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

always nice to here about my undergrad institution in any article :D but this isnt really all that suprising at A&M. the VIZ lab uses macs for everything it does (supplies most of Pixars staff too) and the main campus computer lab had 40+ FP iMacs and lots of the other departments had labs with Macs in them. A&M really runs at least 30% mac.