iPod service error.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by keltan_w6, Jan 31, 2006.

1. keltan_w6 macrumors newbie

Sep 27, 2005
    I decided to download the new version of itunes but only more problems have happened since then. Since it didnt work i decided to do a format by My Computer. Afterwards I tryed the Ipod Updater and since then it has said "Ipod service error". Says that itunes needs to be re-installed which has not solved the problem either. Help?

P.S I have a black 4gb Nano
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

What exactly do you mean here? Have you got the iPod Software Updater installed? :)
  3. betbest1 macrumors regular

Oct 30, 2005
    Formatting through My Computer on a PC is, AFAIK, analogous to using Disk Utility on a Mac, as both simply format the iPod as a hard drive.
  4. keltan_w6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 27, 2005
    so am i fuc*ed? it does this will the nano aswell as the shuffle now. This is all because of downloading the new iTunes and now a message says that iTunes cannot communicate with iTunes... blah blah.. reinstall it again... So after i reinstall it twice the same message appears and when i try to run the ipod updater it continuously says "iPod Service Error" and exits.
  5. cgratti macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    Central Pennsylvania, USA
    can you install and connect without running the updater?
  6. keltan_w6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 27, 2005
    no itunes does not recognize it yet my computer does. I could have fuc*ed the paritions as I failed to install Linux on many occasions but got it working every time. Now since i downloaded the new itunes everything is fuc*ed.
  7. keltan_w6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 27, 2005
    FYI my ipod's drive letter is G (somehow) if that makes a significant difference and how can i change it to the right letter?
  8. keltan_w6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 27, 2005
  9. Mac MMG macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2003

From Macintouch this morning:

Apple documents a confusing iPod updater issue in its Knowledge Base:

When you connect a Fifth Generation iPod (iPod with video) or iPod Nano to a computer with Mac OS X and open the iPod Updater, you may come across a situation in which the Restore button in the iPod Updater is dimmed (grayed out) and can't be selected. The text by the Restore button reads:

"You must connect using FireWire to restore this iPod."

You may also notice that the iPod icon displayed in the iPod Updater is the wrong iPod model. This occurs when the iPodDriver.kext file doesn't load correctly, and it can happen with any iPod that supports photos (including iPod Nano, iPod with color display, iPod photo, and Fifth Generation iPod) or videos (Fifth Generation iPod). To resolve this issue, follow the steps in [iPod does not appear in iPod Updater or iTunes in Mac OS X].