iPod... Should I get a warranty?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jbourassa, Oct 25, 2004.

1. jbourassa macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy a 20 gig iPod. I wonder if i should grab that warranty for 100 CAD (Canadian dollars)
    I plan to use it very often and bring it everywhere I go (in my right pocket). I will sure take care of it, but i'm still gunna bring it on my everyday's buisness (bus, school, ye know~)

Anyone know if they break alot after 1 year? any advice? =)

2. acceber macrumors regular

I personally wouldn't go for it. I have a 3rd Gen 40 gig iPod and it's been stable as anything since I bought it.

It's personal choice really, if you think that you would feel safer knowing that you have that extra warranty if you need it, go ahead. I have never called Apple for help regarding my iPod though and it's been over a year since I bought it.

3. honeytoast macrumors regular

i think it depends on how long you plan on keeping your ipod. if you plan on having your ipod for a long time then i would say yes. i personally try to follow rumors and ipod life cycles in the past to predict when the new one will come out. then i can sell my old one for as much is possible to get the new model. i love having the latest, especially from apple. :D since they are usually updated once a year the standard warranty is fine for me.

4. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I bought it for my mini, and I am not sorry that I did. Minis have a history of static problems, which fortunately I haven't had to this point. Anyway, it was worth the piece of mind for me. But it really depends on the situation.

5. jbourassa thread starter macrumors newbie

Bumb... Please i would like to have more advices =)

6. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

well I just bought a 40gb iPod and I didn't bother with the warrenty. I've come pretty close to dropping it on the floor a few times now but I doubt that would have been covered under a warrenty had it smashed to pieces anyways.
    Personally I have a hard time paying almost a 1/4 of the retail price for a something I'll probably never use.

Besides take that $100 and about $50 more and you can get a 40 gig.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I went back and forth on the decision with my 4G 40GB 'pod - my first. I ended up getting it a few weeks later just as insurance. Of course, this was after sending the original one in to Apple, having it returned but still problematic, sending it back in, and having it replaced with a new one. After that, it seemed like a good idea.

However, note that, like other AppleCare warranties, you have a year to buy it, so it's not like you need to get it immediately, nor will you save any money by doing so.

8. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

9. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

You don't have to get the warranty right when you purchase. It will be covered for one year. I'd not worry about it for 11 months and then make a decision as the clock winds down. In fact, you could drop the $99 on accessories/music instead. Also, if you are at all affiliated with an educational institution, you can get the warranty for $49. Good luck.