iPod Shuffle 1GB 2ndGen Arrived!!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Trishul, Nov 1, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

Trishul

Just thought i'd post some 'real' world pics and comparison to Nano and 5G.

Can confirm old style iPod earphones with the foam pads included not the newer ones. The build quality is very solid, is same material as new iPod nanos, though i imagine will pick up scratches from keys etc.. quite easily, though what do you expect. Plugs into the dock very nicely with the usual apple satisfying click of their connectors. The sliding buttons (shuffle/power off/on) are easy to use, can use it blindly very easily. The clip is VERY sturdy, i really can't see it falling off that easily, attatches to the bottom of my t-shirt very nicely, it just attatches nicely to everything. It's light, but still has some weight, it definately won't pull off your earphones, especially if they are in-ear, i can hang them quite easily.

Overall i can really see this being the No.1 stocking filler this Xmas, they are going to be huge (in a small kind of way :) [kill me now]), people are going to want one without even knowing what they do, they are that sexy. I imagine you could snap off the clip, to make for a seriously tiny MP3 player, but you would have to be mental to do that (and very strong).

added pic of my sister modelling the shuffle as a hairclip/mp3 player as suggested by prady16. though she wouldn't be seen dead like that, she says it is perfectly feasible :D

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502

Congrats, looks like you are one of the first in the world to get your shuffle! It looks really great, much better than my old shuffle.

3. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Soooo cool! :)

I'm jealous. None here in Japan it seems. :(

4. macrumors 6502a

brikeh

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Trishul

it was the closest thing to the front door :cool:
    it shall be disposed off post haste. :)

6. macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Congrats Trishul. I`d love to get one for me asap. Just waiting for it to arrive in India....

(BTW R u n indian?)

7. macrumors 6502a

brikeh

Eeeeexcellent(Mr. Burns pose) :D

8. macrumors 601

liketom

nice pics - mines at home waiting for me to open it :)

9. thread starter macrumors regular

Trishul

just spent 5 minutes trying to convince my sister it's an actual mp3 player and not a remote control. :)

yep vikas i am indian :)

10. macrumors 6502

I just love that tablecloth!
    Thanks for the shuffle pics - nice

11. macrumors member

12. macrumors member

Got mine today (UK), a bit of a shame it comes with the old style headphones but it's just sooooooo damn tiny :D

13. macrumors member

Damn, can't wait to get mine, its supposed to be arriving tomorrow

14. macrumors newbie

I am sure a lot of ppl would like to know how does the 2G shuffle sound? Just as good as the 1G? Better than the Nano?

15. macrumors member

Wouldn't know, the only other iPod I own is a 4G Standard :p

[​IMG]

The 3rd option there makes me give Apple a very big hug :D :D

16. macrumors G4

dmw007

Nice pictures Trishul, it really makes the iPod Shuffle 2G look tiny. :D :)

17. macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

So it is confirmed that it comes with the old heaphones. This contradicts what iLounge had been saying since the new shuffle was announced.

18. macrumors 68000

wwooden

These new shuffles look great, but I just don't think they are as practical as the old ones. They were great because the dock was built into the player. I could really never use this one to transfer files to and from work without either spending money to buy a second dock, or carrying the one with me every time. I think Apple made a pretty big sacrifice with the new shuffles.

But I do love the clip, so much easier to carry around.

Pics are great. Thanks for sharing.

19. thread starter macrumors regular

Trishul

okay plugged upto computer (windows), as usual windows didn't officially recognise the drivers, anyway pressed 'continue anyway', and all is okay.

this is my first shuffle so sorry if i mention common features. It took pretty much exactly 4 mins to fill the shuffle, 140 songs, though most of my stuff is 192-320VBR. There is an option that will convert songs to 128AAC or 192, i can't remember, anyway looked like a good thing if you want quantity over quality, not sure if its common for shuffles. Also the volume limit can be set through itunes. Can also 'partition', and allocate space that would be used for music, and for other data for use as disk drive. And you can make itunes choose from playlists etc..

sound quality - this is just from a few songs and just from a brief comparison, using Shure E2C earphones (highly recommended btw), the sound quality is good, i seriously wouldn't expect more than something this size. Comparing with 1G Nano, i'd put it on par, the nano might have a slight edge, but i think the average listener won't find much between them. There is the same fuzziness at high volumes as with the nano, but the sound doesn't distort, also of note, the volume can go VERY high. Plugged upto Bose Companion III, and the sound is clean and clear at high volumes. The sound obviously isn't as good as a 5G, and i can't compare with a 1G Shuffle, but i am very happy with the sound quality, and while i wouldn't call myself an audiophile, i am someone who is able to appreciate sound quality etc..

just played a bit of classical music, and am very impressed, by far the best sounding mp3 player i've heard at this size, really didn't expect it to sound this good!!

20. macrumors 65816

ero87

OP: do you like that CableYoYo? It looks cool!

anyone else know any good cable-management products?

21. macrumors 68000

pianoman

i don't much care for those headphones. i like my in-ear headphones but i've yet to try the new "standard" ones.

of course, for serious listening, i have noise-cancelling over-the-ear headphones. i only use the in-ear ones at the gym.

22. macrumors member

You just convinced me with these pics. I know where I'll be Friday evening!!:cool:

23. macrumors 6502a

interlaced

oh my god. that picture of your sister is great. i can't wait til more people get their shuffles. then we can start a thread in the picture gallery called "most random places you've clipped your ipod shuffle". :D

24. macrumors demi-god

Spanky Deluxe

My housemate just got one delivered today. He had no idea they weren't shipping yet and didn't realise that he's one of the first in the world to get one! He only ordered last Thursday or Friday. Not bad!

25. macrumors 601

liketom

sweet little thing :D shame about the old headphones , they look retro now:rolleyes: