Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strategos' Risk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Hey, I just got a new iPod Shuffle, but I already have iTunes on multiple computers with multiple libraries. However, whenever I attach the iPod to another computer, iTunes automatically overwrites by iPod Shuffle library, deleting all of my songs! I haven't heard anyone talking about this. How can I stop this from happening?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
You can only sync your shuffle to one computer at a time. It's to prevent piracy. Have you tried manually managing your music?

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Strategos' Risk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
How do I do that? I'd read a linked guide if you don't feel like explaining it.

However, I've heard that this policy is recent. Has anyone tried to bypass it yet? It seems to me to be one of those anti-piracy measures that gets in the way of legitimate users.

croshtique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Cambridge, UK
It's always been the policy with iPods.

To manually manage songs etc. plug in the iPod, to to iTunes Preferences > iPod > Manually manage songs and playlists.

Looky here for more info.

TobyM

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2005
croshtique said:
It's always been the policy with iPods.

To manually manage songs etc. plug in the iPod, to to iTunes Preferences > iPod > Manually manage songs and playlists.

Looky here for more info.

that option doesnt appear when you have a shuffle plugged in...this is bugging me for months now.

there is no way, apparently, to prevent automatic sync.

i have a 5g and had a 4g and a photo before, and they all had that option. you could even adjust the setting when you plug it in for the first time, and give your ipod a name.
not with the shuffle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.