IPod Shuffle for USB Drive Mostly

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dotdotdot, Apr 7, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    I discovered today that I need to bring files on a FLOPPY Disc... I haven't used one in like 2 years!

SO I need a USB drive... my dad offered to get me an iPod shuffle as my regular 20 GB iPod is down to like 4 hours per use and shuffle is 12...

I am just wondering, would the iPod shuffle be able to transfer files to computers running OS9, OSX, Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 and XP? Would I need to install drivers or could I use it as a regular USB drive that is plug and play?

I would want to play music on it also!

2. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If you're going to just use it strictly for transporting and backing up files, you're better off getting a regular USB drive and with the money you'll save, you can get a new battery for iPod. Simple enough huh?
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    well for all jump drives you will need drivers for anything lower than WIn98, and im not sure about the compatiblity with OS 9 either

personally i would just get a regular flash drive
  4. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    yeah I know that you all reccomend a regular drive, but I want to use it for some music also for school and gym and other stuff...

So, it works on OSX, Win 98-XP without needing drivers?
  5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    you should hae no problem, although i have only used it on OS X and Win XP myself without any problems
  6. starcrossed macrumors regular

May 3, 2003
    San Antonio,TX
    If i remember correctly the iPod shuffle were the first in the iPod line to be formated in a way that made them directly compatible with both Mac and PC enviroments, without the need of installing any software or drivers, or like with the other iPods, where once you choose a platform that the only system that you will be able to access your files, unless you reformat. And this was confirmed by true Apple Rep, so I think if don't mind spending a little more than you would with other flash drives, the Shuffle might do you good.
  7. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Sep 14, 2003
    Perfect solution here. Do this. Listen to noel4r.
  8. geese macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2003
    London, UK
    To date, my 1gb shuffle worked fine on XP, and (SPIT) Windows ME.

The only problem is that the shuffle itself is a little big, so if might have problems fitting in some USB ports
  9. enginerd macrumors member

Aug 6, 2004
    The shuffle won't work on Win98--it would need drivers, but Apple doesn't support it. I recommend the separate flash drive for the reason Geese mentioned. Also in my informal testing, the shuffle seemed noticeably slower than a visiontek and lexmark flash drive I've also used. Still much faster than a floppy drive of course, but with the frequent discounts on flash drives, you should be able to pick up a 1gb drive for under $60.