iPod Shuffle help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Man In Black, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Man In Black macrumors member

I just got a iPod shuffle, and I see it requires OS X or Win 2k, XP. I have a mac running OS 9, and a PC running Win 98SE.

Any hack or something to make it work with either of those? Thanks! :)

2. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

i dont' know about that. i don't think its necissarily the OS that has the restriction, its that the current itunes needed to support the shuffle doesnt' exist for those operating systems. sorry i can't be of more help

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you need the latest Quicktime and iTunes software to run it, hence the restrictions. although i suppose you could try and install them on your 98 machine and see how it goes.... unlikely though.

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

There is a program for Win98 that will let you manage music on the Shuffle. I can't remember what it's called, sorry I know it's not terribly helpful, but at least you know that there are options and not to stop looking... if I find it again I will post it!

I used it a couple times with the shuffle I used to have and it worked ok... not an iTunes replacement, but usable! It actually is stored on the iPod itself, takes up like 500k and lets you use it on any computer you plug it in on.

5. Man In Black thread starter macrumors member

Nope. Got an error saying it wasnt compatible.

Cool. I'll do some googling and see what I turn up.

6. Man In Black thread starter macrumors member

Well. I foudn there is a winamp plugin that will allow me to put songs on my shuffle. However, the software on the CD that is needed to format the Shuffle will only run on 2k/XP/OS X. The shuffle HAS to be formatted first, and apparently there is no alternative except to run that on 2k/XP/OS X.

I have a neighbor who has XP, and another with OS X, so I might be able to convince them that letting me use their PC for a few minutes to format my shuffle isnt gonna mess up their computer, lol. Worth a try :p They both have brand new PC's so they would be like "OMG what are you doing? Will that mess up my computer?" lol. :) :rolleyes:

I probably have to format it on a windows machine, for the shuffle to be usable on a windows machine, right? :confused: