iPod shuffle in the sauna? Or is that just a horrible, stupid idea?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mattcube64, Jan 13, 2009.

1. macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Hey guys!

Normally when I go to the gym, I just take my iPhone with me to listen to music. Which works just fine while doing cardio and weights.

However, I normally have to put my phone into a locker before heading to the sauna for 30 minutes or so at the end of each workout. My anti-social-ness has been making me irritable every time I go because the other people in the sauna always want to engage in conversation.... and I'd rather just lay back and relax. ;p

I was thinking of grabbing an iPod shuffle to take in with me. However, I know being a wet-sauna it's probably a bad idea. But maybe I'm wrong; can a shuffle (or any iPod for that matter) stand up to a sauna just fine?

2. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

One vote for horrible idea. The Tech Specs page mentions humidity...

5-95%, noncondensing.

So a sauna just might not be a good idea.

3. macrumors G5

gnasher729

4. macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

If you want to be anti-social just take a pair of old headphones in and hide the plug end of the cord and pretend that you're listening to something :D

5. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

How's that? Humidity in a typical sauna ranges from about 10-25%. It's borderline impossible to maintain humidity less than that.

Most likely the 5% minimum humidity is recommended to thwart static electricity - but even at 5% it would still have to be somewhat cool, if not cold, to have a static electricity problem.

6. macrumors 68040

tobefirst

7. macrumors newbie

I've been taking my shuffle in the sauna for several months now... no problems yet!