iPod shuffle in the sauna? Or is that just a horrible, stupid idea?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mattcube64, Jan 13, 2009.

1. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

May 21, 2006
    Hey guys!

Normally when I go to the gym, I just take my iPhone with me to listen to music. Which works just fine while doing cardio and weights.

However, I normally have to put my phone into a locker before heading to the sauna for 30 minutes or so at the end of each workout. My anti-social-ness has been making me irritable every time I go because the other people in the sauna always want to engage in conversation.... and I'd rather just lay back and relax. ;p

I was thinking of grabbing an iPod shuffle to take in with me. However, I know being a wet-sauna it's probably a bad idea. But maybe I'm wrong; can a shuffle (or any iPod for that matter) stand up to a sauna just fine?
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    One vote for horrible idea. The Tech Specs page mentions humidity...

5-95%, noncondensing.

So a sauna just might not be a good idea.
  3. gnasher729 macrumors G5

Nov 25, 2005
  4. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2004
    Auckland, New Zealand
    If you want to be anti-social just take a pair of old headphones in and hide the plug end of the cord and pretend that you're listening to something :D
  5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Mar 2, 2008
    Always a day away
    How's that? Humidity in a typical sauna ranges from about 10-25%. It's borderline impossible to maintain humidity less than that.

Most likely the 5% minimum humidity is recommended to thwart static electricity - but even at 5% it would still have to be somewhat cool, if not cold, to have a static electricity problem.
  6. Joebot macrumors newbie

Feb 6, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've been taking my shuffle in the sauna for several months now... no problems yet!