iPod Shuffle Issues and Problems

Discussion in 'iPod' started by iDM, Sep 15, 2005.

1. iDM macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2005
    The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Hey everyone I bought a Shuffle in August and I've been having some major problems with it. First off the upload time is horrible when comparing it to my old 3rd gen 20gig, because of Firewire I understand, but still I mean the USB 2.0 is turtlelike, anyway I can get over that because that at least works, and I know there are many threads covering the USB vs. Firewire Wars

Ok here is a list of the problems I've been having let me know if you know a fix to any of them. And yes I have reset it as described by apple and completely restored it with iPod updater.

1. The shuffle option when moved to it with the button on the back simply will not play anything. I switch it to this and it will not play, will not even show a light like it is pausing or turned on, so i have to use repeat which btw gets annoying without being able to pick songs I want which leads me to my next problem......

2. Every time i restart my shuffle it starts on the same song at the same place and since i lack the shuffle option i can't even skip to a song i haven't heard, do you know how hard it is to switch to a song i wanna hear if it is all the way at the bottom of a list of 250 songs!!! Which leads me to my next point.....

3. The thing responds slow as a dog for being 1. Flash based memory 2. For being a new iPod, everything skip tracks, rewind tracks, volume they all are so to respond when pressing their buttons.

4. Once upon a time when the shuffle button did work the thing was horrible at shuffling i mean i could draw songs out of a hat and be more random, i continued to hear the same songs over and over again, literally the same 20 -30 even though i had the 1gig filled with 250 songs!

4. Finally, wtf did i do to the battery, 12 hours in my dreams!!! Yes i skip songs, but that is only because of problems 1 and 2 but i do not even scrape the 7 to 8 hours realm, and I have baby'd the thing. I only wait till it is completely dead(which it is all to often) before i fully charge it and drain it again.

All of these have been very very annoying I'm not sure if 2 involves more the software and whether or not you can do anything about it, I feel like I am using some POS Drug-Store bought MP3?

Also let me add I'm not one of those people that bitch about every mundane detail of their new Macs, I've bought apple software, a Pb, a 3rd Gen 20gig iPod, my folks bought a iMac and a iPod mini, all with top-notch results and not a single dead pixel/hardware problem(well the mobo went bad but it was completely replaced free on the iMac, and my monitor had white spots which was also replaced free............) anyway any ideas?

What do you guys believe the possibility of me getting a refund and putting the money towards a Nano would they let me do that? I bought it from a Apple Authorized Reseller? Also let me add that I'm not making these things up to get a Nano which at facevalue may sound like it, but if my Shuffle is totally baked and they are going to give me a new one what is the feasibility of me offering that deal and getting it?

Thanks in advance!
  2. jmufellow macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2005
    Yeah, my shuffle's been acting weird too. It will get to a point in the playlist when it won't skip further and will just act dead untill I turn it on and back off then it will start at the same point of a certain song. grrrrr.

Question for you, do you have iTunes 5 installed? Perhaps it's that because my shuffle was working fine untill sometime after I installed iTunes 5... ?