iPod shuffle life expectancy

Discussion in 'iPod' started by joshwest, May 16, 2006.

1. macrumors 65816

joshwest

Hi guys i've searched far and in between through the net to find what the life expectancy on a shuffle is. And I cant find nothing... I suggested my company use it to plug straight into our phone board for on hold music. Was going to hook up a AC adapter to it for changing and then just leave it shuffeling constantly..

2. macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

apparently they're supposed to be really reliable (for the most part) since there isn't a screen and thety don't have moving parts inside. I don't own on, but people have noted that they've more than a little rough sometimes and it's still been chuggin' away. I don't know anyone with a shuffle personally, that's just general word from these forums and a few other Apple-related sites.

3. macrumors 6502a

I am very satisfied with my Shuffle's battery life! This thing is amazing. I went on a 6 hour plane ride and listened to it the whole time. Came back home 6 hours more listening and the battery light was still green! I was amazed, but maybe it's because it was my first time using it and/or I didn't have the volume blasting because I was using my ear plug E2c earbuds.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

joshwest

im just thinking if i had it running straight 24/7 will i run into any problems im sure if there is a powersource to it wouldnt stop shuffeling..

5. macrumors 68030

The only bad thing I have heard about the shuffle is that it can easily be damaged by liquids. That shouldn't be a problem in your situation, though. I say go for the 512 MB model; it's only $69! :)

6. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

or $50 refirb from the apple store... I'd get a new one though, especially if you're going to use it 24/7

yeah, they're like indescructable. Says everythink I've ever read on them.

7. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm wondering how long the batteries go before they won't hold a charge. Most of these cells are good for only 2-4 years, depending on how they're used. Has anyone had their shuffle battery go bad?

8. macrumors 68000

atari1356

Quoted from Apple's iPod battery info page:
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html

9. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I know what Apple says, but this is essentially a theoretical statistic, since at least in my case, I haven't fully discharged the battery even once in several months of use and quite possibly never will. I'm pretty sure this doesn't mean that my shuffle battery will last forever. ;)

10. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

I can't say I've had one go bad, but I've used my Shuffle pretty regularly for over a year now (bought the first one at the local Apple Store) with no noticeable degradation in battery life (note: I don't tend to run it down, so it might well have degraded, just not to a point noticeable by me).

11. Moderator emeritus

Do you think that they'll still be usable as Flash storage after the battery dies?

12. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't see why not. I'm not particularly worried about it one way or another (the shuffle cost me only $49), but I was wondering just the same.

13. macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Nice concept! ...and it would be interesting how long it does last.:)

14. macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Don't know about the battery life, but they are tough. Since I take mine to work everyday, my 1 gig has been washed in my jeans at least 10 times