iPod Shuffle MS/DOS format

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by BigDawgES, Jan 12, 2005.

1. BigDawgES macrumors member

BigDawgES

Macworld http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/todayatplaylist/2005/01/ipodshufffirst/index.php
    reported that the iPod Shuffle is formatted with the MS/DOS filesystem. When using it as a removable disk, are there any repercussions from using mac files on this filesystem? I seem to recall someone warning me that PC formated disks wouldn't preserve the resource forks associated with some mac files.

Thoughts?

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You're really going to use a $99 dollar MP3 player as a portable disk?

3. BigDawgES thread starter macrumors member

BigDawgES

No . . .

No, you caught me--I wanted to use the iPod shuffle as a way to get an answer to this question that's been in my head for a while. I got my dad a $16 64MB thumb drive for christmas, and I want to make sure that he can format it as MS/DOS without worrying about it corrupting his files.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Oh! That's what I thought :p

In that case, heres what I have noticed with my seemingly outdated 64MB thumbdrive.

Its formatted FAT32, and when I dump files on it from my mac, I get a lot of extra hidden files. Problem is that Windows doesn't hide (at least I have my work PC configured not to) those "dot" files in explorer, so it confuses the heck out of my wife.

I haven't experienced any corruption, but then again I don't use it *that* much. You should be alright with FAT, FAT32 or MS/DOS.