ipod shuffle or nano?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by savanahrose, Dec 1, 2006.

1. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I am going to get my husband an ipod for christmas. I wanted to get him the shuffle, but read that you have to go by a play list (straight down) and it won't switch the songs around is that correct.

He would like the nano because of the screen. Which in your estimate is better? I like the smaller size so that when he does yard work it won't get in the way.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

With a shuffle you load a bunch of songs onto it and you can either play them one after another as they appear in the Content window in iTunes or you can flick the switch to shuffle and have them play randomly.

With a nano you can make playlists, manage your podcasts etc.

A shuffle really isn't ideal as your primary iPod - it's great for exercising and stuff where you don't need a screen but if you want proper iPod functionality the 2GB nano is a much better purchase. It has longer battery life, more storage, works with a number of accessories and still very small and very light.

3. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

id go with the nano, they are much easier to use and i think when doing yardwork the main concern wil be loosing them for being a bit to small ;) I dont tihnk the nano will get in his way im sure hell highly appeiciate either.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'd say get the nano, especially if it's his first ipod. others have already given you reasons, mainly b/c of the screen. the shuffle really isn't a full blown ipod

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Chundles hit on some key points.

I would like to add the following. I have both a new Shuffle and an 8GB Nano. Both have their purposes.

I really like the Shuffle for listening while walking, exercising, riding the train, etc. You can clip it anywhere. The controls are very easy to use. And it is a whole lot smaller and lighter than a regular Nano.

With the Shuffle you can sort your play list how you want via iTunes, or you can choose to shuffle your songs. I also like how you can mix Podcasts and music. In the normal play mode you can hear your Podcasts. In shuffle mode you only hear music. You can switch back and forth between the two and the Shuffle will remember the place that you left off on the Podcast. This feature is very handy.

I almost never use the 8GB Nano on my person. I use it in the car. It works very well for that purpose.

If it were me, I would definitely prefer a Shuffle for mowing/working on the lawn type activities.

6. savanahrose thread starter macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Thank you all for your input. I really do appreciate it. Got some looking and thinking to do.

7. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I think Sushi's point is particularly useful for understanding some of the constraints and benefits of each product. I might add a slightly different observation though. It sounds like the gift is for a person new to the iPod and while the shuffle is beyond cool and small, the addition of the bells and whistles that the nano has might be preferable for someone engaging this product for the first time.

8. savanahrose thread starter macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

That is one reason why I love macrumors. Everyone is so helpful. :D

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Very valid point as well.

To the OP, maybe ask the person which they prefer.

10. savanahrose thread starter macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

i would but it is for a christmas present.
    I nonchalantly mentioned the shuffle to him last week, then I mentioned the nano last night. He did say that he was looking at them and would prefer the nano just for the screen. But I was thinking that it may be too big for him to work outside with.

But I just wasn't sure, so I thought that I would come up here and get the opinion of others before I bought it. So I think I will go with the lime green nano, that is the one that he wants. He wants that color mainly so that he will know that it is his.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sounds like a great solution to me! :)

Personally, I really like my small iPod collection. I still have my original 10GB model with the real click wheel and buttons. Don't think that I will ever part with it. :eek:

12. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I bought my little boy a shuffle right after they first came out. It was the cheapest, and he wasn't reading well yet so I wanted to keep it simple. Now, he's reading and would like to be able to scroll to the song that he wants. He also would like the album art and other pictures on the iPod. Hopefully, he'll be getting a nano for Christmas.

But, you did mention yardwork. I have damaged my regular ipod doing yardwork, though if I'd used a protective cover I might not have scratched it up. I once got my weedeater hung on my headphone cord and jerked the iPod right out of my pocket. It hit the sidewalk and bounced a bit, scratching the screen and the back side. I've also bent over a couple of times and dropped it in the grass. Now, I find myself borrowing my son's shuffle when doing yardwork.

edit: gen 1 shuffle, btw.

13. savanahrose thread starter macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Timdaddy, thanks for the heads up, I will be buy a case for it as well.

I already bought him the lime green nano the other night. Thank god for the military exchange system. No taxes. yippee!

But I was talking to him about yesterday (after I bought the nano) and he said after looking and reading up on the ipods the one with the video would be the best one to get. geez he really knows how to mess up a good thing.

But when I showed him the ipod that I wanted he just made a face like you don't need that one. Which by the way is the same one that he said he would like to have now.

Men I just can't understand them! lol

14. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

How can you people hear the iPod while MOWING? (Ya, turn it up to full volume I guess... but I got REAL sensitive hearing.)

15. savanahrose thread starter macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I do have another question. The apple care for the ipod. Should I get it? What is the actual warranty on the ipod itself? I haven't even opened up the package as of yet. I didn't want to incase he didn't want it. Which I know he doesn't but will keep it anyway to make me happy. ;) :D

16. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I have a pair of sound proof earmuffs. I also have some in-ear headphones. I put the in-ears in my ears, that right there cuts out a lot of sound, then I put the earmuffs on and I pretty much can't hear anything outside.

To the author, I run the headphone cord up through my shirt and put the iPod in a pocket. That way, the cord is pretty much unseen and I don't have to worry about branches catching it.

17. savanahrose thread starter macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

nice idea thank you.