iPod shuffle problem: no recognition?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by abhishekit, Feb 9, 2005.

1. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

I just bought a 1 GB iPod shuffle from Microcenter. I transferred some songs (I have a pb). Also reserved soem space for data. Then I connected it to a windows computer and transferred a movie. Now when I connect it to my pb, its not recognizing it. So nothing happens. On the iPod, the amber light is blinking (which means it is connected as an external drive). But still my pb is not responding. In iTunes, it says no iPod connected.
    Anyone has any idea what may be the problem here?

I have already switched it on and off, taken it out and connected again.

May be the battery is not charged, but still it is connected to the pb, so it should be fine.
    My last option is to reformat it and then see if it happens again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: I can't even restore it because the restoration software is not seeing the iPod either. :confused: :(

2. xy14 macrumors 6502

xy14

You can't transfer iPod between windows and mac without it being reformatted. this might not be the problem, do you have iTunes 4.7.1? I think that has the driver for the shuffle.

3. abhishekit thread starter macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Well, strangely, after trying for about 20 minutes (switching it on and off, replugging it) it has started working again. I don't think transferring files from windows should be any problem. Anyways its working for now.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Actually an iPod shuffle is formatted the same no matter which OS it's on. (Or should be.)

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The regular iPods use Mac OS Extended on Macs and FAT32 on PCs. FAT & FAT32 seems to make data transfers about 50% the normal speed compared to Mac OS Extended on Macs. And Windows can't read Mac OS Extended without a third-party product.

6. BLINK macrumors member

I have never had this problem. I allocated half data half music for my Shuffle. Went to my friends house and on his windows computer, I took off my tv episodes (which took up the data portion) and I put a movie that he had on his computer on my shuffle. It worked flawlessly.

If you cannot figure out the problem, I would call Apple and ask them. Or call a store that offers Apple support.

7. abhishekit thread starter macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Ok, so that explains the slow transfer rate. iPod shuffle just uses FAT32 on both Mac and PC.

8. Bear macrumors G3

Also flash memory is slower to write to than a disk.

9. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

I have not had trouble with my 512 shuffle. I use it mostly with my PB, but I work in a PC envinrment so I am frequently using it as a replacement to my old flash drive (cause come on, the shuffle is much cooler than any thumb drive on the market) I have not had trouble. So, I would call apple if this happens too frequently.

As for slow transfer rates, my PB only has USB 1.1 (its a REV A) so its slow on my PB. But I love when I hook it to a windows machine with UBS 2.0 cause it transfers FAST!!!!! (i also noticed the music files are completly accessable to DL from when hooked to a windows mahcine!)

10. Logik macrumors 6502a

my 3G iPod is formatted Fat32 for windows.. works great as a mounted device in OS X.. (my music is on a windows PC .. powerbook just isn't convientent as i have klipsch pro media 4.1s on the windows machine.) .. the shuffle is also PC + Mac which means fat 32.. transfers pretty quick on my PC over usb 2.0

11. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I just wrote Apple about this problem. I use my iPod (and other disk drives) as backup storage for some programs and my data keys. For some versions of Windows, it just doesn’t seem to register the data.

Send your feed back directly to apple.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html

As far as speed:
    NTFS and AFS are both extremely verbose, their file allocation systems are much more complex than FAT32, so they should be slower. The problem is more likely that the flash memory is slow to write and the USB transfer rate is not optmized.

Side Note: abhishekit, that is one great avatar!