iPod shuffle questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by enginerd, Jan 28, 2005.

1. enginerd macrumors member

HI all,

I have a 256mb usb flash drive that's starting to get cramped so I'm thinking about getting a 1gb shuffle to get more space and a music player too.
    But first:

I heard you have to allocate music space and file storage space beforehand in iTunes. Suppose I decided to use half for music and half for storage. Later I realize I need another hundred meg for file storage. Can I delete some music files to get more space? Is this possible on the larger ipods also??

Then related to this, if I format the shuffle with fat32, can I then use it for storage for both macs and pcs? I need the flash storage for both PC and Mac, but I'll only be using itunes on mac to actually load music on the device.

Last, a side question: are there any other music players besides the ipod that can play AAC?? (not itunes protected of course)

Thanks in advance. :)

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Yes, you can change the allocation at any time. On the larger iPods, you simply set them to mount as a FireWire drive. You can't allocate specific space on the regular iPod like you can on the Shuffle. All iPods can be used as a portable drive.

All iPods come formatted from Apple as FAT 32 volumes so you can use them with either a Mac or a PC. You will be able to use it for storage on Macs and PCs with no problems.

3. enginerd thread starter macrumors member

Ah, thanks, RBMaraman!
    Looks like I'll be picking one up as soon as they're in stock at least.

The big ipods can still mount on PCs as usb drives, right?

4. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Yes, the big iPods can mount on PC's as a USB/FireWire drive.

Enjoy your new iPod!