Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
I noticed something about using the iPod Shuffle in manual mode. If you transfer lets say 30 songs to your shuffle via iTunes, the shuffle takes em fine. However, if you remove those 30 songs from your iTunes music library.. the next time you plug in your shuffle.. the shuffle updates to zero songs.. y does apple do this..

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
I found it weird at first as well, but this is how I made sense of it:

The iPod shuffle is like a portable "Party Shuffle" playlist. It is not meant to carry your songs like the regular iPods, but instead its a way to take a playlist with you.

Look at the interface of the iPod Shuffle and Party Shuffle, they are remarkably similar. If you were to remove songs from your library that was in the Party Shuffle, those would disappear as well.

Just my $0.02

intrepkid21

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
Long Island, New York
CubaTBird said:
I noticed something about using the iPod Shuffle in manual mode. If you transfer lets say 30 songs to your shuffle via iTunes, the shuffle takes em fine. However, if you remove those 30 songs from your iTunes music library.. the next time you plug in your shuffle.. the shuffle updates to zero songs.. y does apple do this..

What you are describing has ticked off many of my friends who are just now starting to dabble with ipods and itunes. Apple needs to address this problem. A warning dialog box would be nice, giving you the option of re-syncing or leaving the ipod as is. Then there should be the ability to quickley transfer songs from your ipod to your music library.

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
it's called Syncing.. when you Sync you transfer both ways.. unfortunately the ipod has the syncing one way off. from ipod -> computer.. but that means that if those songs are no longer in your library it assumes you no longer listen to them and as such takes them off.. it makes perfect sense to me.

it doesn't just do this with the ipod shuffle either.. it does it with ALL ipods. that's just the way it works

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
It's kind of a bummer for people who have older computer hardware and large music collections.

A colleague of mine recently purchased an 20GB iPod, with the intention of filling it up with music from his CD collection. He uses a laptop computer that's probably five years old, and its hard drive is maybe 4 GB. He was very dismayed when he found that Apple didn't seem to want him to be able to put his music on the iPod and then remove it from his small laptop hard drive to conserve space.

I suggested to him that he try going into the folder on his computer that contains his iTunes library and delete the music files there, rather than deleting them within iTunes itself. So far that seems to be doing fine as a work-around.

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
apple_iBoy said:
I suggested to him that he try going into the folder on his computer that contains his iTunes library and delete the music files there, rather than deleting them within iTunes itself. So far that seems to be doing fine as a work-around.

if i recall correctly you can fix this issue by simply saying you'll manually update your ipod... plug the ipod in, the little "ipod" icon in the lower right corner. select manually manage songs and playlists.

from there it will not remove songs without you doing so and it will not add song s until you do so. simple fix.. it won't remove songs if they aren't in your library either.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Logik said:
if i recall correctly you can fix this issue by simply saying you'll manually update your ipod... plug the ipod in, the little "ipod" icon in the lower right corner. select manually manage songs and playlists.

from there it will not remove songs without you doing so and it will not add song s until you do so. simple fix.. it won't remove songs if they aren't in your library either.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add a pertinent detail about that. He was at first doing the manual synching, but the problem was he kept forgetting to de-mount the iPod before unplugging it (he's a little older and forgetful!). So after he did that for about the 3rd or 4th time, we came upon this other solution.

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
apple_iBoy said:
Oh yeah, I forgot to add a pertinent detail about that. He was at first doing the manual synching, but the problem was he kept forgetting to de-mount the iPod before unplugging it (he's a little older and forgetful!). So after he did that for about the 3rd or 4th time, we came upon this other solution.

i wouldnt call that a "solution" that's a.. crude hack.. :eek:

i can't believe it's hard to hit the "eject" button after you've synced it yourself... i sync, then hit the button.. then i can pull the plug anytime i want after that.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
This is all done because of the record labels. Think about it. If you could sync an iPod to a machine going from ipod to computer, anyone with a full ipod could transfer songs to anyone they wanted to. Think of this as the way Palm software works. With Palm you can choose whice device overwrites the other, in essence, this is not "syncing" the information. Technically the ipod synced with the itunes playlist. If you were to have an ipod full of music, say for instance you dumper you itune library to the ipod because you were reformatting your hard drive, you would not be able to get the music back into itunes with out using something like ollies ipod extractor.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
My only gripe are the volume levels between songs. I'll be listening to a song but I can't hear it too well so I turn it up. Then when the next song comes on, it's so loud I think my eardrums feel like they're going to explode.

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
Pismo said:
My only gripe are the volume levels between songs. I'll be listening to a song but I can't hear it too well so I turn it up. Then when the next song comes on, it's so loud I think my eardrums feel like they're going to explode.

on the shuffle? the normal ipods have a "sound check" option that levels all the songs .. if you're using something other than a shuffle try that

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
Logik said:
on the shuffle? the normal ipods have a "sound check" option that levels all the songs .. if you're using something other than a shuffle try that

I have Sound Check enabled on my 4G 20 gig iPod. I hope Apple will release a firmware update for the Shuffle to include sound check and eq support.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
my 3rd gen ipod is in manual.. and even if i add a song, then remove it from my library.. my ipod doesn't change at all when i plug it back and relaunch itunes.. which is great.. i want that with the shuffle.. the shuffle really has no manual mode.. which stinks...

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
CubaTBird said:
my 3rd gen ipod is in manual.. and even if i add a song, then remove it from my library.. my ipod doesn't change at all when i plug it back and relaunch itunes.. which is great.. i want that with the shuffle.. the shuffle really has no manual mode.. which stinks...

uhm.. yes the shuffle does.. its exactly the same way you setup the 3rd gen you have. Do as i said.

Plug it in, click the iPod icon in the lower right corner of iTunes. Select Manually manage songs and playlists. Heck, i am doing it right now with mine, works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.