iPod Shuffle woes

Discussion in 'iPod' started by shoveland, Nov 15, 2005.

1. shoveland macrumors newbie

I had to run to campus a couple days ago to print something off so I grabbed my shuffle, set up a playlist, and copied my files that needed to be printed. Ran to campus, printed, ejected the shuffle and took off. When I went to play music on it I got the flashing error lights.

Now my PB at home won't recognize it in iTunes, Finder, Disk Utility, /volumes, etc. Do I have to bite the bullet here and take it in to be fixed? Or is there something else I can try?

2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Windows tends to be more forgiving of USB peripherals. Try a WinBox, right click, and format.

But it will erase it!

3. shoveland thread starter macrumors newbie

In restore utility it says "connect an iPod" forgot to mention that

4. ntlman macrumors newbie

split USB personality

I bought a 1GB iPod shuffle yesterday and have had some strange problems. It plays fine, although the connection to the computer is random. If I connect it via the side of the keyboard (on both a quicksilver mac running 10.3.9 and a DDR mac running the same), it will (after some jiggering) show up as a hard drive volume and open my iTunes as well. But the charge light flashes. I realized after 3 hours that this meant that it was not charging. I hooked it up to the back of the quicksilver and after a little jiggering, the charge light came on without blinking, but the computer never recognized the volume, nor did it open iTunes. I have read that plugging the shuffle in the keyboard usb slot is not enough power to function properly, but why would the 2.0 USB slot charge the shuffle but not mount on the desktop?

5. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

Your not the only one with this problem, tons of shuffle users are having the exact problem (Including myself), something to do with firmware, it should be fixed by the next update.