Ipod Shuffle Won't Mount

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Fanglekai, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Fanglekai macrumors newbie

First thing is I've already read everything Apple Support has to offer on the topic, and I searched google and the forums here, but I've had no luck solving my problem. Here goes.

I use the dock for my Ipod Shuffle, and one time I apparently disconnected it while it was adding songs or something. So then it gave me the "Device not properly removed, data may have been lost or damaged" message. It kept giving me this message every time I plugged it in from there on. I tried to restore it to factory settings, but it wouldn't remount to my desktop. Eventually I got it to mount and transfer music after restarting my computer. Then today I tried to add some new songs via autofill of a playlist, and it deleted everything I had and tried to add the new songs, which was expected as I have the remove all songs option checked. Well during this it gave me the same "Device not properly removed, data may have been lost or damaged" message, but I hadn't done anything, and the ipod just unmounted itself and wouldn't mount again. After restarts, trying disk utility first aid, and searching all over the internet I have no luck in getting it to mount.

My Ipod Shuffle shows up under system profiler as connected via USB, but it won't mount to the desktop, won't show in finder, and won't show in itunes. I have no way to reset or restore it, because it isn't mounted. (Apple's support doesn't address this issue, which is absolutely frustrating.) I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to try and solve this problem, or will I have to shell out $30 for shipping and handling to send this in. Franky I think it's ridiculous for me to pay $30 when it's something the size of a cigarette lighter that weighs an ounce, but if I want a replacement that's the only solution.

So my query is: is there ANYTHING I can do to get my Ipod shuffle back up and running without paying $30 and waiting an interminable period?

I'm running an iMac G5, 10.4.2, with the newest itunes, shuffle is at the newest version as well (1.1.2 I believe).

I'm afraid I'll have to send it in, but if someone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks.

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

3. Fanglekai thread starter macrumors newbie

Like I said in my post, I'm running an iMac G5, 10.4.2, with the newest itunes, shuffle is at the newest version as well (1.1.2 I believe).

And yes, it is USB 2.0.

4. Fanglekai thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried it in my roommates Windows XP machine and it said "IO Device Error." No luck getting it to work for him either.