iPod shuffle

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacKat, Apr 16, 2005.

1. MacKat macrumors member

I am asking this on behalf on a friend of mine with a Wintel. :D

He wants to know whether you HAVE to use iTunes with the iPod shuffle or whether he can just dump his mp3s straight on there. Can you use a different player?

Thanks all :) .. and good morning

Kat x

2. Gee macrumors 65816

mp3s won't play if you just dump them on, although the shuffle can act just as a standard pen drive, so you can use it to transfer files between computers. In order to use it as a music player, you have to use iTunes to load up some mp3s. iPods also used to work with a program called MusicMatch, but I'm not sure whether they still do. What's your friend's problem with iTunes?

3. MacKat thread starter macrumors member

I'll ask him and get back to you - I think you cant go wrong with iTunes..:) Thanks for that info - I will post that on my forum and get back to you with his response :D

Kat x

4. MacKat thread starter macrumors member

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Just because you use iTunes doesn't mean you have to buy music from the store. I'm not even going to bother to take issue with the rest of that link... simply because it advocates piracy with p2p over the iTMS.

Your friend can use his existing mp3s with iTunes. Hell, he can even download it for free and try it out... I have over 350 CDs ripped into iTunes and just one purchased song.

There's a very good reason why the iPod/iTunes model has been so successful. Because it works.

6. Gee macrumors 65816

Hmmm. Well, no-one's forcing him to buy stuff from the store. He can rip his existing CDs if he wants.

I think generally a lot of people get the two things mixed up - itunes the music playing program, and itunes the music store that happens to be accessed through itunes the program.

7. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

No, you do NOT have to use iTunes!

There are plugins for Windows Media Player, Foobar 2000, WinAMP, and there is no plugin required for RealPlayer.

Apple can not break functionaity with all the players because they act just like iTunes.

For foobar2000, Google: foo_pod, or foopod, foo pod... etc.

For others, I don't have time to google 'em, as I'm leaving the house pretty soon... but they work - the one that works the most is RealPlayer... but the Music store downloads don't work.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Are you sure that you're sure about that?

The Shuffle (the subject of this thread) comes with specific Shuffle software and needs iTunes 4.7.1...

9. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I am 100% sure about it.

10. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

They're just hacks.

11. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Just use iTunes. It works great. If your friend is buying a Shuffle he/she is supporting Apple anyway so might is well blow it all out and use iTunes. I can't think of any good argument not to use it except if you can't get it to install for some reason.

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, use itunes. coming from an iriver, my shuffle is way better, mainly just b/c of how good itunes works with it. great program. my favorite actually.