Ipod shuffle

Discussion in 'iPod' started by giganten, Jan 23, 2006.

1. giganten macrumors 6502a

I am new her so i say hi to you all :D ..

I have a little question about the shuffle.
    I will maybe buy one off them soon, use on the gym etc.
    But to my question: I want to transfer files (txt, jpg and stuff like that.) from different computers (mac and windows). Can i do that with the shuffle and not use itunes?

Thanks for the help!!

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong; but as the shuffle is flash based, it works much like any standard USB memory stick. Just drag and drop whatever files you desire straight to the icon on your desktop.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

In iTunes you can set up how much you want to set aside as a disk and how much you want for music.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

in iTunes you can allocate part of your shuffle's memory for files. and then you can easily use it for file transfers just as you would any other USB thumb drive. :D

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, with the Shuffle connected to your computer, go into the iTunes Preferences, choose "iPod," and click the box to enable disk use. You can then use a slider bar to choose the amount of space to set aside for files as opposed to music. For instance, my 1 GB Shuffle is set to use 256 MB for data. iTunes then knows to fill only the remaining 768 MB with my songs in case I want to use it for data. Once this option is enabled, the Shuffle will show up on your desktop like any other flash drive. Keep in mind that you will have to "eject" your Shuffle each time you connect it, regardless of whether or not you used it for data transfer.

6. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you :D .. just what i need..
    No one off the other ipod's can do this??

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

any of the iPods can be used as portable drives. you have an option in iTunes to mount them as disk space.

8. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay that sound cool. Maybe the nano is better then, more Gb on that.
    So I it is just to mount them as disk space in itunes and then use the usb cable to use it like a portable Harddrive..