Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
Can anyone help?
I've just bought my first 20Gb iPod — and it 's wonderful.
One worry though. Every so often there's a short 1-2 sec gap in the music, as though it's jumpped. But it comes back in the right place.
It happens every 10-20 mins or so. If I replay the song it's perfect so it's not the file.
Is it the hard disk being accessed and if so, is this usual?
I'm wondering whether to take it back to the store where I bought it for a replacement or am I going to look silly. Everything else about it is perfect.
Anyone any ideas? I'd really apprecaite it.

Apmonia

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2003
Take it back. iPods normally will not skip and should not do so. As long as the problem is occurring on random tracks and not during similar tracks, then its the iPods problem.

Apmonia

Jonm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for that. It's going back this week.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Mine does that after playing it for a while. Doesn't bug me too much, but it should have seeing that the warranty has been over for quite some time (2nd Gen).

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Do you have the latest iPod firmware? That was a common complaint when the 3rd gen iPods came out. Mine did it. Somewhere along the line I think a firmware update fixed it.

I've also heard that some mp3s are prone to skipping more than others--based on the program that encoded them or some such thing. There's probably something about it on Apple's discussion forum.

Jonm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
Thanks

Thanks for the help. I took it back and got it replaced — plus got some cash back as they're now down in price following the release of the 4G iPods.
Just hope this one works fine.
Like the look of the 4G — but without the dock, remote control or carry case it's not really down in price that much.

Jon.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
But on the other hand, it's debatable whether the dock is even worth anything. You can live without a remote--I hardly ever use mine. And iSkin is vastly superior to the stock black case. You've got the iPod itself and that's the most important thing.

Jonm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
Fair Point

Fair point.
Thinking about it, Apple probably realised the dock, remote, carry case were not 'must have' items and took the (wise) decision to omit them and bring down the price. It looks like the 20GB will be down beloww £200 here in the UK by Christmas — which would really see the take-up go wild.
Having got mine now, I just wish I'd done it months earlier.
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.