iPod Socks Do-It-Yourself

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by HardHatMac9, Nov 13, 2004.

1. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

Fellow Macrumors Contributors,

After hearing about the Apple iPod Sock, I was a bit shocked that Apple would put out such a (borderline ridiculous) product.

As a bit of a joke and a challange, I set out to make my own iPod Sock using a red athletic sock I had. In the process, I created a Do-It-Yourself page for those of you who want make one. You'll find it here:

http://www.omidtoloui.com/www/OBTsiPodSocks.htm

Have fun with it.

[​IMG]

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Brilliant!

I can't believe Apple are charging $29 for a few half length socks, quite amazing :rolleyes:

3. HardHatMac9 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Yeah seriously (about the price). But I'm sure they are going to sell like hotcakes. If anyone makes their own iPod sock, let me know, and I'll post it on my site.

4. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I was thinking of how to make one myself today! Thanks for the info!

JOD8FY

5. dotnina macrumors 6502a

That's really great ... thanks for sharing! I especially love the handle you've put on your iPod sock -- glamorous! :)

If I had any domestic ability in me at all, I would be making one right now.

6. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

I'm paying 30 bucks for the Apple tag.. psh... good idea though.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Apple share holders thank you for paying that much for something that would have cost them well under $1 to actually produce. Not a bad profit margin I'd say.

8. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

Oh I didn't buy them yet.. nor do I plan to.. I'll think about it I can use one for my pda, one for my iPod.. if I get it let me put my music on it.

9. HardHatMac9 thread starter macrumors regular

If your time is worth more than $30/hour, and you REALLY want a sock for your iPod, then go buy the Apple brand. Of course....it's always cooler to make it yourself.

What's hilarious about the whole thing (and oddly great) is that they're selling a 50 Cent solution for a 600 Dollar item. You gotta love it.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

11. HardHatMac9 thread starter macrumors regular

Well you could if you want to reach your hand into the bottom of a sock everytime you want to get your iPod out....well, unless you have dwarf size feet....

12. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

That's the whole discussion of why it's a "rip-off". I think I'm going to be seeing these alot at my school, and I'll tell them it is sort of a rip off. I mean, i want protection if i drop it too.. which I've done with and without a case...many..many..times.

I was about to edit my post and say that too.

13. HardHatMac9 thread starter macrumors regular

I think most cases don't really do a good job of protecting your iPod from falls. They might protect it from scratches and maybe some denting, but the impact will only be slightly prevented by a case.

14. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

sorry, yeah thought that the iPod sock was a little pricey but if i read it right don't you get 5 different coloured socks for $29? not just one mega overpriced one but 5 overpriced ones. is that right? its still pricey but not crazy expensive.

15. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

actually 6 moderately overpriced socks

16. iGary Guest

iGary

I ordered 4, plan to put them in a closet and hope that they are collectors items in 20 years.

What the heck.

17. HardHatMac9 thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting idea. Why not. Good luck with that.

18. HardHatMac9 thread starter macrumors regular

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Just wanted to say...

...that this is one of my favorite threads. Not sure why, it's just nifty...

Love the home-made iPod sock.

I don't have an iPod (yet) but got lots of socks...

20. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

sock...thread....funny! :p

21. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Thats what my mom used to say around halloween every year....

22. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Sweet Sewing Sock Monkey! Can you make me a package of 6? I'll give you $27.50 for them.

23. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

slightly off topic but does anyone have one of those silicon iskin exo 2's? what do people generally think about them? i have been to ipodlounge but just wanted to get an idea of what the macrumors community thought. (If this is too off topic then i'll make another thread.)

24. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I bought 2 for my 3G iPod and I hate them and never use them. The only way for my iPod to attract more dust and grime would be to dip it in maple syrup and drag it across the rug at the local homeless shelter.

I use a Contour Design case and love it. Their support is top notch, the latch broke and they replaced it for me without sending the broken one back. They accepted a digital pic.

25. HardHatMac9 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Comments like this make doing the Nerd thing, putting off work, and making a Internet How-To Page Worth it!