iPod socks. How are they?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Wano, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Wano macrumors 6502

I was just wondering, from those who have had the iPod socks for a while, how well do they protect the iPod from getting scratched? I have a Timbuk2 case that I use constantly but I would like something a little less bulky, so I am looking at getting a iPod sock off eBay for $8 or so.

Anyhow, post your opinions. Thanks!

2. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I bought a pack to go with my Mum's Mini for xmas. She loves them. The colours are great, they are slim and really well made. I know some people were knocking them because of the price but they are so different to anything else out there iPod protection wise. I say get them :p

3. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

They are pretty kewl, i split a pack with a mate and on my 4th gen ipod i have no scratches at all.
    They fit snugly and for £9 for 3 it isn't too pricey.

4. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweet! Thanks for the reply. I just ordered a green iPod sock for $7.99 :D and some iPod headphones new for $20, both from eBay.

5. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

You won't be disappointed. :)

I got a pack for X-Mas, and I actually find them very useful. I don't have a dock for my iPod, just the cable, so it's often lying on its back when plugged in. In that position, it can get scratched pretty easily. The sock keeps it not only from getting scratched, but also from sliding around too much. And yea, they very well protect the screen too. The fabric is very soft and non-abrasive.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

They work well with an iPod - snug fit, no scratches - but I find that they are way too short for my feet, and the lack of color pairs makes it a bit embarrassing to wear different colors on each foot. But they're warm and comfortable, and they do proudly show off the Apple logo.

;)

7. sockeatingdryer macrumors regular

sockeatingdryer

I have both a green iPod mini and a 4G 40GB iPod... the socks fit them both very well.

I love them because I hate holding a bulky box (I have a leather PodFolio), but I need the scratch protection for the screen and the back. It just slips on and off. SO AWESOME!

I totally recommend them.

8. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweet, sounds like everyone is happy with theirs.It's gonna be so sweet not to have a bulky case!

9. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

They are friggin' awesome! :D

At first i thought "ohh god - how useless are these things" but i was wrong.

Chicks dig them too :cool:

10. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I got them for xmas and although I scoffed at them, they are very cool. I gave away 3 and kept 3 for myself. At the very least, I'll never lose a matching pair in the dryer.

11. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

How about an assessment of how well they insulate the unit inside? Let's get real: the only real use for these socks, aside from concourse coasting, is to address the cold weather markets (Chicago boy here) where Ipods work for about 10 minutes in freezing air coming off of a full charge.

Anyone use an ipod sock to keep their ipod warm in cold weather wtih good results? Clarification: cold weather = 30's F and below. :D

12. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

i think their dumb and pointless... i can take my ipod and stick it in any random sock woo look at me i got an ipod sock... gnaw :cool:

13. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Ehh, not very well actually. They don't really cover the top of the iPod or anything like that.

Picture walking around outside in 30°F weather with socks on and imagine how warm your feet'll stay... That's your iPod :)

14. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

Tell me about it...it was below 0 for the past two weeks up here in Michigan...walking around campus with the iPod was next to impossible.

Even if I could get it to start playing and put it someplace warm (say, down my shirt :p ) the wires on my earbuds would freeze stiff and fall out with practically every step I took...

that's misery. No tunes, walking 1/4 mile between classes, in -6f.