iPod Software Update 1.2.6

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Freg3000, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

Pod Software 1.2.6 provides improved battery management which solves a problem that may appear to shorten your iPod?s battery life.

Some customers have reported that over time their iPod?s battery life has declined. This update enables the iPod to more accurately monitor its battery charge, thus using the entire battery capacity and regaining long battery life. The result is longer playback time and extended standby time. After updating the iPod, customers can expect at least 10 days of standby battery life on a full charge.

Prior to this update, the iPod would sometimes mistake a temporary low voltage condition as an indication that the battery was discharged. This resulted in the iPod shutting down prematurely, even though the battery was still capable of powering the iPod.

2. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

im having problems with it, keeps unmounting my ipod and then giving me errors saying dont do that. gotta work on it i guess.

iJon

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

im getting problems on mine, keeps un mounting it, guess i will go try it on my powerbook.

iJon

oops, delete this post mod if you see it.

5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Installed fine for me. I hope you get it working iJon.

My iPod was in need of a charge, so it's plugged in and charging right now. I hope this fixes the battery problems I've been having.

I'm just glad to see that Apple hasn't forgotten about the iPod's. :D

Does anyone else think this update may contain a piece of software that will be needed for the potential Apple Music Service? I know Apple didn't say anything, but I was just thinking. What does everyone else think?

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

how is yours set up, mine is set up to pop up as a firewire hard drive, i hope its not because i have a custom icon but that could make sense.

iJon

7. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I have it setup as a firewire hard drive. It popped up on my desktop, I then installed the software on my iBook's internal HD, located the update folder in the ~/applications/utilities folder, and used the installer in the folder to update the software on the iPod.

P.S. - I do NOT have a custom icon. I really don't think it would make a difference, but who knows. Hope you get it working iJon!

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

ijon i had the same problem but since my itunes are on my iBook and thats all I got on there I just restored it because it was long overdue for one neway. whenever I clicked update it would say iPod deteceted but needs to be mounted even tho it was mounted right till then. Odd

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

thats what i am thinking, did you have a custom icon?

iJon

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

nope, works fine after the resest, don't see many if any changes so far except for the battery thing. no custom icon i realyl doubt that is it. Maybe try restarting the mac but i tired that and it did nothing for the issue.

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i didnt think that was it. it wouldnt work on my 12 inch powerbook or my dual 1.25. ill just reset it and then use isync again. its all good.

iJon

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I had to do a restore instead of an update, then load all my music and calendars back on. Good thing Firewire is fast!!

JW

13. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I'm going to install it on my iPod, but I haven't had any problems. If there is anybody here who sees signifigant improvement with the battery life of their iPod, please tell us here.

14. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

BEWARE...

I have had a MAJOR problem after this update. I installed it and everything went smoothly. The iPod worked fine and was running the latest software. Problem is that now I can't launch iTunes at all. And it's not the usual "can't find the library" crash either. I've trashed all prefs for both the iPod and iTunes and still nothing. I fixed all errors and permissions on the HD, nothing. I even deleted iTunes and reinstalled it, nothing. This is deep. I'm worried I will have to wipe my HD and reinstall the OS so I used the Pod like a Firewire HD and just put as many of my mp3s on it as possible, as data not as playlists, so I can't even listen to them. So now I have a full iPod that I can't use and iTunes won't do a thing. I'm certain it's from this update because it's the ONLY thing I did yesterday and the Crash Log says something about an external device. Can anyone here read a Crash Log and get an idea of the problem? Thanks for any info.

15. saint macrumors regular

I just saw an iPod in real life for the first time today. These things are really nice.

I like how the screen is fully protected by the plastic front casing.

It's a bit smaller than I expected too.