iPod Software Update?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by celaurie, Oct 22, 2006.

1. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

I just dropped my 4GB nano into the dock this morning and was greeted by the following message in iTunes;

"A new iPod software version (1.3) is available for the iPod "MaxiJazz II". Would you like to download and install it now?"

Interesting, I thought. Given that I see no news of an update on the 'net.

Anyway, just to clarify... have my iMac, iPod and me been in some sort of timewarp... again!? Or is this a quitley sent out iPod update.

~cel

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It came out to little fanfare a couple of days ago. Bug fixes and compatibility with new Nike stuff are the only additions and I think it's only for the 1G nano. It seems to have eliminated the stuttering problem my nano had when playing back podcasts.

3. celaurie thread starter macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Hrrrrm

Now that I've downloaded the update, I'm getting the error:

"The iPod "MaxiJazz II" could not be updated. An unknown error occured (1453)."

It just gets stranger.

~cel

4. celaurie thread starter macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Strange! I have had my iPod in and out of the dock a few times in the past couple of days. I wonder why I'm only hearing about the update now?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

One workaround (as messy as it is) is to unplug the iPod when the bar for updating the firmware first comes up and then quickly plug it in again. This works only if the iPod isn't displaying the Please Do Not Disconnect icon. It's a bug in the updater. :eek:

6. cazlar macrumors 6502

Great, I haven't heard of this update either. I never updated to 1.2 as it had a stupid bug where album shuffle didn't work properly. I hope they've fixed it.

Which reminds me. In the past, I've just kept copies of the updaters in case I want to revert to older firmware versions. Now that iTunes handles the updates, are you able to somehow keep them around? I know the old updaters will still work, so in this case I can go back to 1.1.1, but what if next week 1.3.1 is released , and I don't like it, can I somehow have the option to update it back to 1.3.0. In other words, can you "backup" the updates? (not the best explanation, but hopefully you get what I mean).

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

They are backed up, in /Users/*insert your user name*/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates are the .ipsw files of the past iPod software updates. I have 1G nano 1.2 and 1.3 in there, any previous versions are in the old location in Utilities.

8. cazlar macrumors 6502

That's good. But can you manually launch the one you want? I can't test as I never downloaded 1.2 through iTunes, so I now only have 1.3 in that folder.

BTW, 1.3 still has the shuffling bug. So I'll revert back to 1.1.1 I guess, which is fine for now, but I'm going to have a problem if I end up buying a Nike kit (which still hasn't hit Oz) and need to update...

9. celaurie thread starter macrumors 6502a

celaurie

After restarting iTunes, all is well with me! :)

(As far as my iPod goes, anyway!)

10. Trebz macrumors member

Same here. iTunes restart did the trick.

11. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

just dropped my 2G nano into dock and new software available - version 1.1 (previous was 1.0.x)

anyone else get this?

12. knackroller macrumors regular

knackroller

I just updated from 1.2 to 1.3 (using Windows). Now the tracks start to stutter, and when I try to play each album, the first song gets "stuck" and it automatically skips to song #2.

Any ideas?

13. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

that was a 2nd gen nano? why didn't it just give me a 1.3 update then? instead of going 1.0.x to 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.3?

14. cazlar macrumors 6502

Just to clarify, 1st gen nano went from 1.2 -> 1.3, while 2nd gen nano is a separate firmware line, and went from 1.0.3? -> 1.1.

15. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

thanks for that.. i was sure i wasn't going nuts :p

16. knackroller macrumors regular

knackroller

It is a first gen nano. Now I can't get it to revert to 1.2. Last resort is to restore it on my mac and hope that works fine. But that means I won't be able to use it on my Windows anymore.

17. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Thankyou! My silver 2G Nano had no problems with the update the other week.

Mum's black 2G Nano came up with that error when I tried to upgrade it (it handled the initial load without problems) - very glad I decided to do it when she wasn't around or she'd be panicking over how hard it is to use and update!

However, then it had another odd turn when I told it that I didn't want to manage music manually and told me it was synched to a different iTunes library and should it delete itself? It's only ever been plugged into Mum's iBook! So, I've said yes and it's reloading itself... fingers crossed that it behaves itself from now on.