Ipod song transfer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jsulens, Sep 8, 2004.

1. jsulens macrumors member

i was wondering if there is a way to transfer songs from your ipod to your itunies library. i just got an ipod and i wanted to transfer songs off my old computer onto my new powerbook that i will be getting anytime now. is this possible? it sounds like it should be pretty simple.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

It is not "officially" possible to do this (it's a copy-protection thing). There are hacks out there, but it's better if you can physically connect the computers and transfer that way.

3. Fourbin macrumors regular

PodUtil

Download PodUtil from KennettNet. When your iPod is connected you can pick which folders or you can select everything and download it to your new computer. It will save every file and organize the folders by artist and album, then you can just drag it into iTunes.

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

PodWorks is a perfect app for transfering songs from your iPod to iTunes. No hassles at all.

5. jsulens thread starter macrumors member

thanks a lot. all of these are going to be able to help me. i cant wait until my new 15" powerbook comes.

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

since both utilities are sharewares, if you needed to do this just once, you can save yourself a few bucks and mount your iPod as a HD and copy your library to/from there. no third-party utilities necessary if music is stored as files under iPod's disk mode. only when music is sync'ed to iPod as listenable it's tricky to get those songs out.

7. jsulens thread starter macrumors member

thats sounds like a good idea also, i may try that as well.