iPod Speakers

Discussion in 'iPod' started by JohnEZ, Jun 25, 2006.

1. JohnEZ macrumors member

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for speakers to go with my iPod. I have it narrowed down to three things I think...

iHome--$99
    Bose SoundDock --$299

But then, if I'm going to go with the Bose thing, I may as well go with the iPod Hi-Fi for $50 more. So... it's a toss up. If you have anything to share, like sound quality, product quality... whatever it is, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks,
    John

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

iHome is much weaker then the Bose, (i have both Bose and the iHome) but i would say go Hi-Fi, as you get Audio out to support Mac,PC, iPod shuffle not docking iPods,Other MP3 players or CD players) also it can go on batterys

And if you look around online you can get it for about 308 shipped(check amazon) only downside it 1) it its bigger 2) nothing behind you iPod in case it gets knocked over)

3. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

my friend, who happens to have an iHome says that it works seamlessly. in fact, the clock comes preset out of the box and isn't affected by power outages, only problem is that it's sound, though not bad, is definitely not as good as some of the other products.

4. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

What's the third thing :confused:

5. JohnEZ thread starter macrumors member

Sorry about that--the third thing is the iPod Hi-Fi, lol

Thank you all for your help. :)

-John

6. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Gotcha - do you need the alarm clock functions? The iHome does not sound good (really...it doesn't), so I went with the JBL OnTime (which is, admittedly, a bit overpriced...but DAMN it looks good and sounds great).

If you don't need the alarm clock, than the Apple iPod Hi-Fi is the way to go (in terms of bang for your buck) - it kicks the socks off of the Bose SoundDock in my opinion.

Personally, the iHome really doesn't fit into your options...if you just need an alarm clock, it's viable, but otherwise, it's not a good speaker set up...

7. JohnEZ thread starter macrumors member

Thanks folks. Methinks I will go for the Hi-Fi :D

-John

8. Nye553 macrumors newbie

9. pink-pony115 macrumors regular

pink-pony115

I would suggest buying the entry level speaker first. If you don't like it just return it. :) BTW: I have a iHome. I really like it.

10. Tompi macrumors newbie

Think twice!

The Hi-Fi doesn't sould nearly as good as the Bose. Bose has done a much better job with the amplifier unit and the sound quality. Arguable the Hi-Fi does look better but, much larger and more expensive. Most cheeper units really sound horrible but if your buget is limited i would stear you in the direction of Logitech mm50. Sounds fantastic, has surround sound enhancement and a built in battery. aldo quite cheep. If sound quality is a priority, and buget is secondaty, i would recommend some kind of mini system. I have a Yamaha MCR-E700 system. A little more than the HI-Fi but sounds MUCH better! Also it has a DVD player and radio with inputs. you can just plug your ipod in through a dock or cord.

If you have the cash. You will love this option. The bose and the Hi-Fi are good but aren't what they could be and are massively overpriced for the product and quality!

11. dextertangocci macrumors 68000