iPod static from clothing!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by apple_iBoy, Jan 16, 2004.

1. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

I got a 40 GB iPod at Christmas and love it. But during the past couple days, I've had horrible static and popping while I'm walking around, to the point of being essentially unbearable.

Via the scientific method, I've traced the problem to my clothing! Since it's been so cold here in the Northeast lately, I've been wearing wool sweaters and a wool winter coat. When I shed these articles, my iPod's sound goes back to normal.

Here's some further information. I usually clip the iPod to my belt, so the metallic portions of it would brush against my coat. So I tried stuffing the iPod down into my jeans pocket so it wouldn't come into contact with the wool, but the problem is the same. Basically, as long as the coat/sweater is on and the iPod is somewhere on my person, I experience that awful noise. Maybe I should get a pair of more electrically-insulated pants? ;) Also, the noise distortion occurs with both the Apple-supplied white headphones and another pair of headphones I have, so I'm pretty sure the static problem is either on the metal surface of the iPod itself, or at the interface between the iPod and the headphone at the jack.

I called Apple -- the gentleman I spoke to told me he wasn't aware of any such problem, and that my only options were to go looking at online discussion boards (the reason I'm here), or to go to my nearest official Apple store and reproduce the problem for them. Would that I could do the latter, but I'm a poor student with no car to get to my nearest Apple Store anytime soon.

So, I'm hoping someone out there can commiserate and offer a suggestion. Yes, I know I could get a new coat, but perhaps this is an abnormality confined to my iPod and wouldn't be an issue on another unit. I don't want to resign myself to awkward or expensive possible solutions (like carrying my iPod around in a ziplock-bag or buying a new rubberized case for it) until I see if anyone else out there has experienced this.

All help appreciated!! Thanks!!!

Matthew

2. gemio17 macrumors regular

ouch- I have had the same thing for a while, walking around and getting shocks in my ears..it sucks.I don't know if it's from static or what. I have returned my earbuds to the store, to no avail. I still am getting shocked, so I bought a different kind of headphone and we'll see if it fixes the problem. I do have a feeling that it's the earbuds and something to do with the connection and not me- I guess we'll find out....

3. ajkst1 macrumors member

iPod Static

I have experienced the same thing lately. I keep my iPod in my pockets, but the static goes into the headphones. It doesn't affect the iPod itself, just the headphones. I haven't tried it out with different headphones, but apparently Apple didn't insulate the earbuds very well.

4. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

What about a rubber cover

Like the iSKin http://www.iskin.com/exo2.html
    I would think the small amount of rubber might be enough to prevent the static.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    wow this is the first time iv seen this issue, yeah i say go witha skin.

6. apple_iBoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, those iskins are nice -- cool price too.

I think I'll try one of those, thanks!