Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newbe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
USA
Hi Guys,

I have this iPod problem.

History
Recently I had some bad luck with my iMac 24 which seemed to be slowing down. I upped ram to 4G and in January 2012, I finally hooked the iMac up to an external drive (Seagate GoFlex Desk) to use with time machine. At the time, I was unaware that the GoFlex Desk external drive had to be formated for Apple which I failed to do :eek:.
Well, won't you know it with in less three weeks of using the external drive and timemachine, my iMac would not turn on. I took the iMac to the Apple Store, and they told me the hard drive was not working and they would have to replace it. I thought the iMac was backed up with timemachine - it was not. They replaced the hard drive and then I discovered the external drive did not have any of my documents (three years + history lost forever :eek:). Everything is gone :mad::mad:. Right now I have a nearly empty internal hard drive with reinstalled Aperture and iWorks.

Problem
How can I salvage my music that is still on my iPod:mad:? If I sync it to the iMac the bulk of my music will be deleted. Although about 50 iTunes songs will be restored, I will lose the majority of my music which consist of my old CDs. I can individually import all of my CDs back into the iMac with the new internal hard drive. However, I don't want to have to do that all over again. How can I save my music on the iPod, import it to my iTune library so that I can then sync it all back together? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.