iPod synch on Imac vs MBP

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by bobnlyne, Apr 27, 2012.

1. macrumors member

If anyone out there has had this problem please HELP.

I have four iPods, one current gen Nano, one second gen Shuffle, and two first gen Shuffles.

I also have different types of music on my iMac and MBP, and want to keep it that way. I only synch my iPods from the iMac.

But recently my iMac can't handle the job. iTunes sometimes can't see the iPod, mis-identifies it (sees a second gen Shuffle instead of first gen), or else freezes entirely. Sometimes when it can't identify the iPod it tells me that I should disconnect it and reconnect it and try again. And when I do, it tells me that it was ejected improperly and becomes invisible from that point on. I can't even do a restore because of it. I'm afraid of even connecting my Nano to my iMac for fear it will do the same with it.

I have restored the Shuffles on my MBP, which sees them just fine. I've tried re-naming them, but when I go back to the iMac for a synch, iTunes does one of the variations glitches mentioned above. It has told me to do an iPod service re-install from my original OSX disk (Snow Leopard), but when I do it tells me I have Lion and to do a re-install from there. But I can't even find the service on Lion. Is it even there?

A work-around would be to do a music transfer from the iMac to the MBP, and then synch from there. But that is a lame approach, and besides, I'm afraid that whatever bug the iMac has will come with it.

Help please.

Bob in San Antonio