iPod Syncing Help!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Over Achiever, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I feel very stupid, but am I missing something? I set my iPod to manually update so that I can delete my music off my computer (finally!) Well I want to return my iPod to upgrade to a higer capacity one, so I'd like to transfer my music back to my computer. Only problem is ... I can't! I could drag library to the iPod then delete all the songs in my library ... but I can't drag the iPod into the library! What am I doing wrong?

If i set the iPod to autoupdate ... would that delete all the songs on my iPod since my library is empty? Help!

I want my music back on my computer so that I can sync the music onto the new iPod. Also then I can wipe the old iPod clean with the iPod updater. Rawr this is frustrating.

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

You can only transfer songs from iTunes to iPod, not the other way round. Good news is that there are plenty of third party apps that help you get round this. I recommend PodWorks (shareware), it's a great utility. Check out Clockwork Apple too, it's freeware and developed by an MR member, can't beat that! :p

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i can't believe someone with a 6502 status here has not seen this discussed before...

as you saw, iPod syncing, at the design level, is one way. iPod can reflect what's on the computer, but not the other way around. this is apparently to prevent piracy - rationale being that if you could upload contents of the iPod to any computer easily, you will have all the iPod users sharing music with each other from iPods. (whether it's true or not is up to debate.)

here you go, pick one. there are other MR threads as well.

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/search.php?mode=basic&action=search&str=ipod&plt[]=macosx&x=0&y=0

4. Over Achiever thread starter macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Sorry folks, I was in a hurry since I was exchanging this today and freaked out a little. Didn't realize that was the design of the iPod, but that makes a lot of sense. Looks like I should have figured that out before. Thanks for the info, and searching for better terms yielded threads like those.

Thank you all.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    didnt the new ipod upgrades take away the functionality of those 3rd party apps

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I think the update took away the ability to download songs from shared iTunes libraries on your network. PodWorks has always worked for me over numerous updates.