iPod temperature range

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by williamsonrg, Dec 1, 2004.

1. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

Quick question for folks with an iPod (isn't that most of us?):

Now that it's winter, I've noticed that my 3G iPod's screen sometimes gets screwy when it's outside (it's been about 30 lately). I know that happens to displays when they get cold. So my question is twofold I suppose.

1) Does that do permanent damage to the screen?

2) Is it bad for my iPod to get too cold? Should I not walk to class with my iPod until March? I keep it in my pocket, but it still gets cold, obviously.

Any advice, anecdotal or advice based on actual facts, would be appreciated.

2. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

The operating temperature is somewhere in that like 30 to 90 some range, but it says you're safe from like -4 to like 115 or something like that as far as operation goes. Don't ask where I saw this, but it was on Apple's site somewhere in there specs. Let me look, actually...

Environmental requirements

Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)

Non operating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)

Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing

Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

I do find it interesting that it works in planes, but that has to do with air pressure @ 30,000 feet IN A PLANE as opposed to outside.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

4. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

Gee thanks... :rolleyes:

I knew it was in the tech specs, but I was hoping to hear from people with actual experience.

5. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I found that on the Apple site. Interesting that there's such a difference between operating and non-operating. Seems to indicate that I should use it when walking to class when it's that cold. Although it might be warm enough in my pocket...

Then it'd never work in a St. Louis summer when the humidity is 99%
    :rolleyes:

I think most planes are pressurized to around 10,000 feet, aren't they? That would conicide precisely with the requirements.

6. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

iPods have a spinning HD, so I'd follow the specs. You don't want a disc crash. If it gets too cold, shut it down. (I wear mine in an inner pocket when it's cold. Then again, that has only happened to me once :D )

7. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

This is a good read: Batteries. Temperature also affects battery life. A lot.

8. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I had a mobile phone phone screen literally freeze once.... i defrosted it but it didn't like the rapid temperature change and cracked the screen.... phone worked but no display :( that was on a Nokia NK402

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I've used my iPod a lot in the winters. I used to live on an another part of Norway last year and it often got like -20°C there. I used the iPod inside my jacket with no problems. My i iPod is over 2.5 years old and still working (i still get about 5:30-6:00 battery..)

10. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

ive seen a picture of a first gen accidentaly dropped into the center of a bonfire. the case was a bit melted, but it works just fine.

11. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Don't roll your eyes at me... I didn't make the specs LOL. I don't know what planes are pressurized to, but it's certainly not 30,000 feet. LOL. I have used my iPod in ARIZONA when it was 108 - but I'm not sure about the humidity. I've used it in very humid Pennsylvania summers. I think they just say these things to cover themselves.

12. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

NO offense intended, just rolling my eyes at the Midwest humidity. Thanks for relaying the specs though.