iPod to Capture DV?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Metatron, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

I have what I think might be a really neat idea....mabey it has already been thought of, but I thought I would post for some feedback.

They make harddrive DV capture devices that start recording to the drive when you hit the record button just like it would a tape.....except it records to a firewire drive. The only problem with these drives is there cost, upwards of 1 grand for decent record times. Would it be possible to write softwear for the iPod to repond to the commands of a DV camera? It already has a 40 gig drive in side with a firwire interface. I think it would be easy to hack or modify the ipod to do this.

If not, apple could make the video iPod do this and market it to broadcast producers on the go. Right after they record on it, they can watch it.....on the same device.

Mabey I am the only one who thinks that would be neat....but even iMovie users would like the timesaving features it would have....plus they would have an iPod.

Sounds like a winner when you consider the mac as the digital hub. Also, whatever happend to iPod home directory idea that would carry all of you files with you that was suppost to be launched with Panther?

2. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

That would be really neat... I might want to get one of those for my iPod. One could probably do that with digital camera movies shot on a flash thing or microdrive (?) I don't know about sending commands to and from the iPod but even just storing the movies on there and not having to mess with tapes would be very cool.
    -Ted

3. Engagebot macrumors regular

all you need is a powerbook do do exactly what you're talking about.

never tried it with an ipod, but i have a firewire harddrive that i record straight from my camera to the drive. not sure how fast the ipod's drive is though. may be a 5400 rpm or less.

i can capture 3+ hours straight onto my firewire drive without even putting a tape in my camera.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't think the iPods HDD is fast enough for reliable capture and people in the field can already watch what they've just record. They just play it back in the camera. ;)

Lethal

5. Engagebot macrumors regular

what he's saying is that this would totally cut out your capture time from the tape to your HD.

i film MBA nightclasses and author DVDs for my university. every thursday i film a 3 hour lecture and have to have a finished product in the fedex box by monday morning. not having to capture the tapes really helps.

6. Metatron thread starter macrumors 6502

Metatron

iPod Harddrives speed?

Well, what is the iPod's Drive speed. It has to be at least 4200 rpm. I would think that would be fast enough since it is not running an OS and is not being used by background applications. It just records... though, it would be a battery drainer.

7. Engagebot macrumors regular

Re: iPod Harddrives speed?

it doesnt matter at all that its not running a full os (even though there is a firmware os running) or anything like that. certain rpm drives only have certain max sustained transfer rates. taking in full dv quality video from a minidv camera is pretty tough even for a 5400 rpm drive. you really need to go 7200 if you dont want to have dropped frames.

8. Metatron thread starter macrumors 6502

Metatron

I have a Rev a. ice book 500mhz. I know for a fact it has a sloooow harddrive. I cannot think that a newer harddrive would be as slow as my old icebook. And by slow, I mean rpm and transfer rate. I have done several project with it using final cut express, and imovie, never losing a frame.

9. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Hi Engagebot,

Could you please explain your setup? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

sincerely,
    Murad

10. Engagebot macrumors regular

Sure.

We have several students that are enrolled in the LSU program but live in other cities or states. Since they still pay tuition, they expect high quality and timely recordings of thier classes.

I use a Sony DCR-VX2000 video camera (the large pro-sumer sony) that i run straight into my powerbook. I am recording onto tape at the same time for safety, but i just capture from the live camera into Adobe Premiere and onto the firewire 160GB harddrive. When i get back to my office, i plug the harddrive into my Dell (specs in my signature) for actual editing in Premiere. Recording straight to that harddrive cuts out the time i would have to capture the tapes to my harddrive. I create all my menus and such in Adobe Illustrator to match the look of the university, then create the dvd in Adobe Encore.

I then use a 1 to 7 dvd duplicator tower that i built to crank out as many copies as i need.

I film, capture, edit, render, create a dvd, render the dvd, and duplicate the discs between late thursday night and monday morning.

11. Engagebot macrumors regular

12. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

The HD of the iPod is 4200 rpm, so it's too slow for DV in realtime. And another problem is decoding the raw video.

13. Engagebot macrumors regular

i figured it was somewhere around there, but i wasnt sure of the exact specs on the ipod's drive. thanks for the info.

14. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

by the time this capability will be out, the iPod's HD may run at a higher RPM. Though it's not 1.8", Hitachi (I think) has a 60 GB 2.5" drive running at 7200 RPM.

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

There would never be a reason for the iPod's hard drive to run any faster. It would simply drain the battery, run hotter, and not provide any useful speed enhancements. I think that, if anything, the iPod's hard drive speed will decrease as the iPod gets smaller. There would be no reason for a fast hard drive in the iPod, and without one, DV importing would be painful.