iPod to record classes

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DougJrS, Dec 26, 2004.

1. DougJrS macrumors regular

I am going to be returning to school soon as was looking at getting an iPod and an attachment to record my classes. I was reading the reiews and they seem to be really hot and cold. People seem to report that the reocorders work great or they report that they freez the iPod.

The two recorder attachments that I have seen are the Griffin iTalk and the Belkin Voice Recorder. From what I have read the Griffin iTalk looks to get "better" reviews.

I don't think that the file size will be a problem, but I am worried about the battery life. From everything that I have read it seems that the Belkin recorder will only record about 90 minutes. I didn't see any info about recording time for the iTalk. My class is 4 hours long.... the numbers for recording time don't look good.

Thanks in advance,
    Doug

2. iGary Guest

iGary

There is a rechargeable battery pack now available for the iPod. Just Google "iPod rechargeable battery pack."

And yes, the Belkin is a better product.

Good luck.

3. DougJrS thread starter macrumors regular

So Belkin is "better" than Griffin? I am just double checking since my own research shows the oposite.

Thanks,
    Doug

4. greenleaf macrumors member

i have actually used the iTalk many times to record classes this year and i have a 40gig 4g and i get about 2 hours on average but one time i got 3 i dont know why i got that much but every other time its been around 2

5. iGary Guest

iGary

My goof, I meant to say Griffin...sorry!

6. DougJrS thread starter macrumors regular

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Get the Griffin iTalk and a BTI external battery. If you are worried about battery life, get the iPod photo, which has about 15hours fo life. It will be less while your recording, obviously, but it has the highest rated. Just be aware that it is recording a low quality wav file. Fine for talking, but not for much else. You may want to test it first to see how close you have to sit.