iPod touch 4 - 64 GB.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by taptic, Jan 5, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

taptic

Hey,

A guy on craigslist is offering an iPod touch 4th gen 64 gb for $115. The screen is completely ruined (cracked all over) and would need to be replaced. Moneywise, how low do you think I should try to get him to? I have never replaced any screen before of an iDevice. Would it be worth it to try? Is it very hard?

2. macrumors 6502a

There should be people on craigslist in your area that do repairs.

Contact one of them and find out what they charge to replace the screen.

Personally, I wouldn't pay anywhere NEAR that for a damaged 4th gen ipod touch. You have no idea what else is wrong with it.

3. macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I'd only pay $85 for it because it is broken. Then you'd have to repair the screen.

4. macrumors 6502a

You need to be careful. I once bought a broken powerbook off ebay because I'd fully disassembled and reassembled that model dozens of times and figured there was nothing that could go wrong with it that I couldn't fix.

When I got it, half internal screws were missing and there wasn't a single part that wasn't broken, literally everything, the sound board, even the modem. Somebody had been doing repairs and put together a machine with all the dead parts he'd pulled. Even the housing was in worse shape than any I'd worked on.

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

No, it's on craigslist. I would try to repair it myself. Is that very hard? (I am assuming the screen is working and the iPod is responsive.)

6. macrumors 6502a

Sounds like an awfully large assumption on your part.

But hey -- it's your $$$.

Let us know how it goes.

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

No, no. I'm going to make sure of my assumptions by looking at it and using it some before I purchase it. Assuming until then that it is fully functional and the only problem is that it's screen is badly shattered, how low do you think I should try to get him to go. Again, is it very hard to replace a screen yourself?

8. macrumors 68020

Apple...

A friend of mine successfully replaced one. However, he almost ruined the iPod entirely by coming within a hair of severing some of the important wires, so it's definitely risky. I'd say below $100. Look up the cost of repair before you decide.

9. macrumors regular

Honestly you can probably get a refurbished one from apple for the cost of getting the iPod, shipping and the cost of repair.

10. thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

shipping? have none of you ever heard of craigslist? you go look at it and then buy it from the guy if it's good.

11. thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

Oh, also, when I buy the replacement screen I need to know what to buy.

The screen is cracked, but the iPod is still responsive and functional. I don't know if that means I do not need a digitizer replacement. What is a digitizer replacement?

Could someone please give me an amazon link to something that would work for this?

12. macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

The digitizer and LCD are fused together for the 4th gen iPod touch. You will need a heat gun to get the old screen off and a small screwdriver. The new screen should come with adhesive strips to stick the new one on.

It's not really hard. I've replaced a couple dozen at my shop. You do have to be careful of a couple very thin connectors, but it's very do-able. iFixit has a prett good guide. Feel free to PM if you need a hand.

13. thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

I actually just watched a video by iFixit. They said a hair dryer could work instead of a heat gun. Is this true? Is it very hard to do it that way?

14. macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

A hair dryer will work. It may just take a little longer to heat up. Keep an eye on the home button. The plastic will deform & get crinkly looking if it gets too hot.

15. thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

Are the screens that are not made by Apple generally okay to buy? Who is a trusted seller?

16. macrumors 68040

Why not just get a working one. I paid $160 for a 64gb iPod touch 4 like new with 11 months of apple care left.