Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
So I am thinking of getting an iPhone 4 but how would I get it? Sorry I am a little confused.

You can get a factory unlocked but its expensive or you can get one on contract and have the lowest data Plan, call plan, and text plan. You could also look on eBay.

markp9114

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
IL
I recommend trying to find an iPhone 4 for the same/similar price as a comparably sized (GB) iPod Touch. I bought a pristine 32GB Verizon iPhone 4 with a bad ESN for $210. Except for the inability to use FaceTime (requires cell service), it functions even better than an iPod Touch.

I tried locating an AT&T iPhone 4 so that I could get FaceTime via a prepaid SIM, but the AT&T models are insanely expensive.

If you can't find an affordable iPhone 4, then by all means get the current iPod Touch 4G... it's a very fine device and even the substandard camera can be tweaked with optional software for higher res/quality images.

how did you get a 32GB for so cheap?! I can't even find 16GB for less than $300. I think there is an influx of people wanting to use iphones with bad ESNs now lol

pchipchip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
I think that I am just going to buy the iPod Touch 4G because I have a $100 gift card to Apple and I can bring in an old iPod to get 10% off a new one so a 32GB would only cost me $170. Should I do that or still just get an iPhone 4 with bad esn?

markp9114

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
IL
I think that I am just going to buy the iPod Touch 4G because I have a $100 gift card to Apple and I can bring in an old iPod to get 10% off a new one so a 32GB would only cost me $170. Should I do that or still just get an iPhone 4 with bad esn?

well you won't be able to find an iphone 4 32GB for less than $170 so just do some searching on ebay and see how much you are willing to pay.

pchipchip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
well you won't be able to find an iphone 4 32GB for less than $170 so just do some searching on ebay and see how much you are willing to pay.

Is it worth it to pay $100 more for some better features? Just wondering.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
how did you get a 32GB for so cheap?! I can't even find 16GB for less than $300. I think there is an influx of people wanting to use iphones with bad ESNs now lol
The auction was about 2 months ago.... and I had to monitor every iPhone 4 32GB auction for 2 weeks straight before I was able to get the one that I want. My watch list had nearly 200 total at one point in time.

Since then, as time went on it became even more obvious that there would be no 5G iPod Touch and the only thing that I can conclude is that more people wanting to do the same thing.

The lack of an iPhone 5 probably has more people interested in used iPhone 4's (thinking that there is not much difference between the 4s and the current 4.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
*bump*

Bumping this thread because of a new discovery of using iOS 5 on an iPhone 4 w/bad ESN....

Facetime now works!

Installed 5.0 and although the ESN is still bad and there is no cell service for this iPhone, Facetime works as it does on iPod Touches and fully functional iPhones.

*** so anyone interested, RUN don't walk to snag an iPhone 4 w/bad ESN *** :D

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
*bump*

Bumping this thread because of a new discovery of using iOS 5 on an iPhone 4 w/bad ESN....

Facetime now works!

Installed 5.0 and although the ESN is still bad and there is no cell service for this iPhone, Facetime works as it does on iPod Touches and fully functional iPhones.

*** so anyone interested, RUN don't walk to snag an iPhone 4 w/bad ESN *** :D

That's a great plus. I've also made my first google voice call using gv mobile and talkatone (I love gv mobile's texting/it also works in conjunction with talkatone to make calls). Flawless execution flawless sound quality.

Bad esn iphone is the way to go! Totally worth the money pchipchip.

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010
Is it worth it to pay $100 more for some better features? Just wondering.
Not for me. I scored a 64gb 4g for $220 from craigslist. I took it home and noticed some pixels were hot (like stuck/dead pixels but reversed so they were brighter than the rest). I took it in to the apple store and they replaced it since the apple care still had another month left.

Even if I had not gotten a new one for $220 (and the screen was in perfect condition) there's no way I would trade half the storage capacity for those benefits and higher cost since it's being used as a media device only.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I have a 3rd Gen iPod Touch I bought in February 2010. My warranty is good for two years. I am not sure about getting the current iPod Touch because all I would care about is the video camera and the Retina display. Otherwise my 3rd Gen is running fine.

MaceFace12

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2012
Get the 4g, but also get a case the second you get it. I got an ipod 4g and i didnt have a case so on the first day a little girl knocked it out of my hands and the screen shattered.:( Luckily, the guy who sent it to me was nice enough to fix it for cheap.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I am sick of my 4g lagfest device. Even just streaming music it lags and apps sometimes crash. I am itching in getting a iPhone contract and all I can afford it but I really want T-Mobile unless Sprint is any good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.