Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2015
My trusty old 4th gen finally died from water damage today. I never updated to iOS 6 so I had that original YouTube app that was amazing. I believe I had updated it to iOS 5 though but I don't remember. Anyway I am thinking of buying a used 4th gen online and wanted to know..... Is it possible for me to get back to using that iOS if I order another 4th gen? I really miss it already. I used it for watching YouTube and surfing gamefaqs when I was tired of my iPad.

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
My trusty old 4th gen finally died from water damage today. I never updated to iOS 6 so I had that original YouTube app that was amazing. I believe I had updated it to iOS 5 though but I don't remember. Anyway I am thinking of buying a used 4th gen online and wanted to know..... Is it possible for me to get back to using that iOS if I order another 4th gen? I really miss it already. I used it for watching YouTube and surfing gamefaqs when I was tired of my iPad.

Its not possible to roll it back, but you could find one with iOS 5 on it??

Perhaps you could get your current one repaired by a non apple repair place? Logic boards can survive water if fully dried out, usually its the battery that dies when an iPod gets water damage.

You could also get a 3rd gen iPod Touch as it could not update past iOS 5, so you're guaranteed to be able to have one with the youtube app on it.

Alternatively, have you tried some of the app store youtube clients? I find some far better than the google youtube app.

I also miss the Apple youtube App tbh!!

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2015
Its not possible to roll it back, but you could find one with iOS 5 on it??

Perhaps you could get your current one repaired by a non apple repair place? Logic boards can survive water if fully dried out, usually its the battery that dies when an iPod gets water damage.

You could also get a 3rd gen iPod Touch as it could not update past iOS 5, so you're guaranteed to be able to have one with the youtube app on it.

Alternatively, have you tried some of the app store youtube clients? I find some far better than the google youtube app.

I also miss the Apple youtube App tbh!!

So even if I buy a used one and reset everything to default it won't be ios 5? I thought that's how it worked if I don't update.

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2015
Is there any difference between ios4 and 5? Do i have to install to use itunes and internet browser.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I was wondering why the YouTube app "disappeared" on someone's Ipad Mini 1. I really liked that too! I suppose you could always just install it now as a non-included, 3rd party app.

Is there any difference between ios4 and 5? Do i have to install to use itunes and internet browser.
I've never used iTunes the app, nor software for Windows. I just update and get apps through the device itself. I only use iTunes for my Ipod Classic, and it won't work with iTunes version later than 10.7

So even if I buy a used one and reset everything to default it won't be ios 5? I thought that's how it worked if I don't update.
That's what I thought too. Go ahead and re download whatever apps that still support that version of ios, and ignore the updates to ios itself.

Tankerspam

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015

Old trusty gen 2 does, running iOS 4 I believe, YouTube app on it its a beautiful thing!

Apple requires you to update when you do a reset... you'll be luky to fix a 4 with the right iOS. GOOD LUCK!

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
The YouTube app on iOS 5 and below doesn't work any more. Same with the Apple TV 1 and 2.

Google discontinued the old YouTube API it uses.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
The YouTube app on iOS 5 and below doesn't work any more. Same with the Apple TV 1 and 2.

Google discontinued the old YouTube API it uses.

I have an old iPod Touch 4th gen 8GB which I never use, which is on iOS 5. I just started the youtube app and it works like a charm ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.